FJ80 Locker Fitting an FJ62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.cardomain.com
Has anyone ever performed this swap? Seems possible, seeing how same gear ratio and ring diamter. I searched the IH8 site, but no other posts concerning this topic. If someone has a link to one, thanks very much.
I've read that the rear locker of the 80 fits the front axle of the 62? Is this the right idea? Or Front fits front? Not sure. I am contemplating this swap seeing how i have a 92 FJ80 that goes in the sand periodically, and a 62 on 37s that goes willy nillly much more often. Thanks for the info.

Are you talking about using the same ARB part # for a FJ80 as a FJ62? Or factory FZJ80 lockers to fit in a FJ62?

yep they fit. I would not do it though. If you plan to wheel that truck hard my brotha, factory lockers are not the way to get with large tires. See you friday :)

The FZJ 80 rear diff will physically not fit into the housing, unless you cut and weld some new meat on one side, drill and tap some holes. one other problem you may have is the c-clips that hold the axle into place with the semi floater, no place to put them, axle may fall out. Swapping the whole axle is one thought, but the rear axle is wider by about 4 inches and you would then have to weld in new spring perches.
I would diagree with lowtideride as to big tires unless he specifies what size.
What size tires are you thing about?
The rear of non locking will slide right in, but again with the locker one it will take some cutting and welding, drilling and taping, but at least the front axle is a full floater and will not need c-clips. later robbie

powderpig said:
The FZJ 80 rear diff will physically not fit into the housing, unless you cut and weld some new meat on one side, drill and tap some holes. one other problem you may have is the c-clips that hold the axle into place with the semi floater, no place to put them, axle may fall out. Swapping the whole axle is one thought, but the rear axle is wider by about 4 inches and you would then have to weld in new spring perches.
The rear of non locking will slide right in, but again with the locker one it will take some cutting and welding, drilling and taping, but at least the front axle is a full floater and will not need c-clips. later robbie

Ummmm, that is simply incorrect info man! I think the swap YOU are talking about is the procedure used if you to put a FRONT E-locker diff into the FRONT of a NON Elocker 80.

He is putting it into a 60 series, it is ALMOST a bolt in! I have done this personally! There is a little cutting involved, but there is NO welding, drilling, or tapping needed1

The rear electric FZJ80 locker will go right into the front of a FJ62 housing with just a little notching and a longer spline shaft on one side, and a few longer studs! I have done this and it is fairly easy!

Check here for writeups:

Mine for my 60: http://yankeetoys.org/mangler/elocker.htm

FERGS for his 60: http://blake.prohosting.com/hzjsixty/elock5_links.htm

POWDERPIG, please confirm info before you post it! Obviously you wouldnt post bad info on purpose, just double check the posters intent! My .02

Thanks

POLK, hit me up with an email if ya got any questons!

Last edited:
powderpig said:

Wrong info dude ;)

Also research it. Running an e-locker and hard core wheeling do not mix :ban:

I am speaking totally out of e locker ignorance here, but I have seen many guys with BIG tires running elockers with no issues. Christo and all of his groupies run them and I was under the impression that they have not had any major issues. Christo runs 38-40s on his truck and he is not exactly light footed. I am running 40s on my project truck and went with a factory locked truck as the doner vehicle because of him. If I am missing something here, let me know before I sink a bunch of $ into the axles. I am heading to Christos this weekend to refurb front and rear and add 4.88s. Sorry to hijack the thread.
G

No problem waggy. If you search thru the threads christo said he would never ever run a e-locker agian. When the rear axle goes it fuses inside the e-locker making it almost impoissible to get out on the trail. If memory serves me correct which often it doesnt, it just happened to some other guy which turned out to be very costly. With ARBs the problem does not exsist because of a different locker design.

Gary-The issue was that if you break a rear axle with the long splines, it stays caught in the locker due to the twist in the splines. That makes it nearly impossible to pull out the differential from the axle housing. There is a thread about it somewhere. I agree with you, though, that for everything but gonzo, hardcore, throttle down, 4wheeling the factory lockers will be great. Robbie (Powderpig) wheels pretty hard and I believe he has factory lockers. Running ARBs does avoid this problem-the axle can still break, of course, but it would still be straight forward to pull out the third member.

For the original poster, the ARB would be easier for sure, but the factory would be a cool custom set-up. I believe to run the factories, you would have to go to a full float axle though, otherwise I don't see how you could retain the c-clips.

edit-dang Lowtide, you are fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom