FJ80 heater woes. Need help too. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
Hey guys,

My cruisers heater does not seem to be getting hot enough. The truck had its radiator serviced not too long ago. It heats up fine, the temp guage reaches normal operating temp. but still no heat coming from vents even when its set to very hot.

Want to find out quick what is going on so I can fix it. Its like an icebox riding in this thing.

Any help, input or suggestions would be great.

thanks

Make sure heater valve is opening up. If so, then flush the heater cores.

you should be able to see the valve moving under the hood if you have somebody wiggle the temp control. (Needs the key on IIRC). Well, at least on my 97.

As e9999 and Rich said, this is the valve for an FJ80.

See the cable that is under the valve. That cable hooks up to the cool/hot level on the dash.
DSCF0943.JPG

I just have to make sure that cable is doing its thing?

DigitalKnight86 said:
I just have to make sure that cable is doing its thing?

as a start!

later you get to cut sheetmetal, weld, grind, and hammer wildly.... :D

Checked it just now. the cable is moving. Still no heat coming out. How do I flush the heater cores? Does the FSM show how?

If you warm the rig to op. temp, can you feel a temp difference in between the two lines going to/from the heater core? What about the secondary heater under the passengers seat.
Do you have pressure in the cooling system?

Checked the FSM for ya, I did not see a 'flushing the system' in the cooling section.

DigitalKnight86 said:
Hey guys,

My cruisers heater does not seem to be getting hot enough.
thanks

Now that I reread the first line, I thought back to something that happen to me.
My thermostat was broken in two pieces thus no preassure in the system. No pressure means to raising of the boiling point for the cooling system. I replaced my water pump, thermo and gaskets and the system was back to normal.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the thermostat. Could there just be something wrong with the valve internally? I'll heat it up and see if there are temp differences between the two lines and I'll check under the passengers's seat as well. I'll let you know what I find.

Most likely the heater cores are clogged. To flush them find the inlets and outlets. The inlets connect to the heater valve. Get appropriately sized barbed garden hose adaptors and hook your garden hose to the heater core outlet. Hook up a drain hose to the inlets so you don't flood your engine compartment. Turn on the garden hose and flush 'em out. Will work best if you flush each heater core seperately. That's all there is to it.

Anyone have pics or a diagram so I don't screw up.

you can try my writeup in the FAQ although that is for an FZJ

I'll try that. Are the heater cores basically the same on all 80 series?

If anyone out there with a FJ80 has done this, please show me the way.

Heater Core

DK-
This is what the heater core looks like. I am pretty sure the cores are all the same for FJ and FZJ's. But if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

If you can notice the two hoses that go into the firewall about six inches below the valve, these are the hoses that supply/return the coolant to the heater core.

You should be able to take the hose off one end and put a garden hose to it. Disconnect the other end for purging the core.

Don't be surprised if you have to buy new hoses or clamps later.

Help this helps.
Heater Core - Core unit damage.jpg

Last edited:
That's the money shot I was looking for. I'll see that it is flushed on wednesday.

Thanks jkl..

No problem. The tube on the left has a extension that's not shown. That extension 90º's out to the firewall.

Okay, today I flushed the heater core like its describes on e9999's write up. The air is still coming out cold even with the truck on normal operating temp and heater turned all the way up.

Need to fix this really soon as it is cold in there.

Make sure the heater valve is fully open. If it appears to be open but you are not getting heat, then remove the valve and examine it internally, verifying that is does open. You can always replace the valve with a short piece of straight pipe, as a test, to verify the valve is not the culprit.

If the valve is operational and open, and the heater cores are clear, having been flushed, but you still have no heat, then logic would suggest you have a blockage upstream or downstream of where you have flushed.

You were able to get a good flow through the heater cores with the garden hose, right?

The flow with the garden hose was great, rinsed it out for almost 2 minutes on full blast. I'll check the valve tomorrow to see if it is opening up internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom