FJ80 front axle (elocker) part search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

npulver

Metal Messager
Threads
Hey, i know a lot of the Dakota territory guys dont really come into this section, but i figured i would throw a bug in a few of they guys that do ears.

Currently getting ready to start on my FJ55 Restomod, looking for a tough axle for the front, would prefer a FJ80 front axle with elocker, but something strong (and preferably toyota) would work.

Plans are some 37x12.50's and would prefer an axle thats not going to break easy on me. Currently have a Small block 350 in there, so a little more torque compared to the 2f's. Most of the guys in the FJ55 section are saying that 37's and a 350 will probably snap the axle.

Any input or line on a axle would be great! Thanks in advance.

Nick

Hi Nick.

Are you located in Rapid City? My first question would be why are you specifically looking for an 80 axle? Is it because of the selectable locker? Are you wanting to put a wider than stock axle up front as the 80 axle will be 3" wider than your stock axle.

If your looking for a wider axle and want a selectable locker I would put an fj60 axle in with an ARB locker. It would be stronger than an elocker. If you don't want a wider axle just use your stock one and upgrade the internals with longfields and an ARB

Just my 2 cents.

Bfletch: Yes im located in Rapid, I was thinking FJ80 axles because of the full floating front with the elocker for convenience. I have thought about doing a FJ60 front with ARB, however was thinking the FJ80 route might be slightly more cost effective. My Fj55 wont see to much trail driving to be honest, and the trailing it will do wont be much, if any, rock crawling. Yes i did know the 80's are 3" wider (my original plan was to do 80's front and rear) Im wanting a slightly wider stance for stability. As far as longfields go, havent personally looked into that route, just the upgraded 30's (which i was told would be weak with my extra torque and 37's.)

If i could find a FJ60 front locally i would mind going that route either. As i could just add a locker later on down the line if need be.

Alpinemechanic: Simple answer is looks and extra ground clearance. Really nothing more.

Bfletch: Yes im located in Rapid, I was thinking FJ80 axles because of the full floating front with the elocker for convenience. I have thought about doing a FJ60 front with ARB, however was thinking the FJ80 route might be slightly more cost effective. My Fj55 wont see to much trail driving to be honest, and the trailing it will do wont be much, if any, rock crawling. Yes i did know the 80's are 3" wider (my original plan was to do 80's front and rear) Im wanting a slightly wider stance for stability. As far as longfields go, havent personally looked into that route, just the upgraded 30's (which i was told would be weak with my extra torque and 37's.)

If i could find a FJ60 front locally i would mind going that route either. As i could just add a locker later on down the line if need be.

Alpinemechanic: Simple answer is looks and extra ground clearance. Really nothing more.

Nice to meet you. Ya need to come to the DTC meetings to meet the other club member!!

You might be confused on the front 80 axle as it is the same design as the other cruiser axles, just wider and would obviously have no leaf perches. Going with a later model year 80 rear axle would get you a full float rear axle instead of a semi-float rear.

The big difference with the 80 vs 60 axle is the 80 axle would have a hi pinion diff.

Nice to meet you. Ya need to come to the DTC meetings to meet the other club member!!

You might be confused on the front 80 axle as it is the same design as the other cruiser axles, just wider and would obviously have no leaf perches. Going with a later model year 80 rear axle would get you a full float rear axle instead of a semi-float rear.

The big difference with the 80 vs 60 axle is the 80 axle would have a hi pinion diff.

I do need to make it to one of the DTC meetings, I know a few people that are in DTC already, and did stumble upon one of your runs (meeting at the gas station on sheridan lake rd). Just didnt get to go on the drive as i was on my way to look at some land.

Would you think a high pinion would be the way to go with a SOA. im planning on going SOA and but keeping the ride height as low as possible (for stability reasons) To be honest im very new to 4x4 type of stuff, but love getting my hands dirty (ive had a few "race cars" and other projects that get rebuilt from the ground up) This will be my first 4x4 type of build. Getting excited to start.

Nice to meet you also Fletch.

I do need to make it to one of the DTC meetings, I know a few people that are in DTC already, and did stumble upon one of your runs (meeting at the gas station on sheridan lake rd). Just didnt get to go on the drive as i was on my way to look at some land.

Would you think a high pinion would be the way to go with a SOA. im planning on going SOA and but keeping the ride height as low as possible (for stability reasons) To be honest im very new to 4x4 type of stuff, but love getting my hands dirty (ive had a few "race cars" and other projects that get rebuilt from the ground up) This will be my first 4x4 type of build. Getting excited to start.

Nice to meet you also Fletch.

I would necessarily say going HP is the way to go. It has its drawbacks and would limit you to using a fj80 axle or a mini truck axle.

If you want wider axles I would just use 60 axles especially since you could use you stock diffs as long as the splines are the same. I would bet you can pick up a set of 60 axles for way less than a set of 80 axles, especially if the 80 axles had lockers.

Well if anyone knows of any fj60 axles for sale I would certainly take those also! Know of any?

Last edited:
If you went 80 axles I suggest going non-elocked and adding ARB's or some other choice for lock up. E-lockers are picky about smooth splines and a slight twist in the axles will either lock them in or prevent them from locking in. They are also a PITA to get apart if the axle is twisted! The front diff on an 80 will not stand up to a V/8! It is just a 8" mini truck diff slightly enhanced by the reverse rotation configuration. I agree with Brian on going with the 60 axles as it would be cheaper and better for straight drop in. an non e-locked 80 rear axle and a widened FJ60 front axle is also a great combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom