FJ80 Exhaust system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost done w FJ80 baseline. Biggest concern left on my list... the exhaust system.

It is very rusty. The hanger behind the cats is basically rusted away. I'm just going to use some metal hose clamps to hold it together for now.

But anyway... Assuming the worst (need to replace most of the exhaust system) roughly how much $$ am I looking at (including labor)? Cheapest part options?

And what the heck is EMS Powered in Austin TX? When I try to search this topic in here that is all I seem to find.

Last edited:
Stay away from EMS. they used to do a bit of business with 'mud members. Then they stopped returning calls and became a terrible outfit to deal with.

If you want something "good enough" go with a system from Bosal. They are made up the road from me in Ypsilanti, MI. You can buy their stuff online or from advance auto. It is basically a bolt-in system. I believe they have some minor fitment issues, but you won't fi d a better bolt-in for less.
He other option is to take it to a decent exhaust shop. I've seen numbers for a full custom system install from $500-$1000.
HTH

Thanks!!

Looks like rockauto.com for Bosal? Any other place that sells their stuff?

Rock Auto has some even cheaper options too, but I suppose I should be leery (DAVICO MANUFACTURING? EASTERN CATALYTIC?)

As long as the exhaust system doesn't fall off the vehicle I am happy to take my time with this. Besides looking horrendous I am not having any probs. Maybe a light rattle at idle the CAT but think this might just be some shielding.

I am concerned about the exhaust system just falling off. How exactly is this thing held up? I find one hanger coming of the tailpipe side of the muffler that seems to be holding everything in place. It does seem solid but it also seems like it should have more support.

Am I missing something? The hanger on the Y pipe (rusted away as mentioned above) doesn't seem like it is designed to provide much support anyway. More of a cushion. Even with the clamp rusted away it still lays on the rusted old hanger. I will be re-clamping. Was going to use hose clamps but looks like i can get something even better for a few bucks that the auto parts store.

Last edited:
Find a good exhaust guy in your area. Have him re-route everything to where it's above the frame.

My exhaust cost me around $500, I think. Everything is tired above the frame, both cats were replaced by 1 high flow cat, new oxygen sensor bungs, and a Walker muffler. It's quiet, and I never worry about catching it on anything.

Magnaflow direct fit for 95 up its a little more then bosal but it's better quality. The only issue is if you wheel hard you want to have a muffler shop route the pipe after the converter(s) over the frame to the muffler.

You don't specify the year of your truck, but there is very little out there for 91/92 FJ80s. I have used discountconverter.com with very good results for my 91. Direct fit from the exhaust manifold to the factory Y-pipe. Uses all OEM hardware and gaskets and O2 sensors. You can buy new hangers from Toyota.
From the cats back, any exhaust shop will do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom