Fj80 birfield in fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So like the title says, I’m wondering if a set of 91/92 birfield will fit in my 95? I’ve seen a ton of threads that mention that a 93/94 fzj80 birf will fit in a 95-97 80 as long as the correct depth drive flanges are also fitted. Based on threads I’ve read I believe that all of the birfs from 91-94 are the short style and should work in my 95 with the short drive flanges.

OH and the reason why I’m goin through all this hoopla is that cruiserteq only has one of the 95-97 birfs right now and the 91/92 are waaaay cheaper. I’m hoping somebody can shed some light on this, I’m a little nervous about pulling the trigger😅

Thanks!

This is a simple equation.
Short outer axles require the short flanges.
Long outer axles require the long flanges.

However, the short axles do not have the machined surface for the ABS ring IIRC. I would have to see them side by side.
EDIT: After searching a bit, I think all OEM birfields had the ABS ring surface.
Someone who deals with this everyday would be more qualified to answer, like Curt @ Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit . They also have a variety of birfield choices in stock and are strong supporters of this forum. He's also a nice guy.

Last edited:
You can also look at Slee Off Road for RCV stock axle replacements.

Last edited:
I'd avoid the short spline birfs, especially if you are still full time 4WD. They were upgraded for a reason.

Terrain Tamer ones are cheaper and worked great for me when my short-spline birfs stripped out.

However, the short axles do not have the machined surface for the ABS ring IIRC. I would have to see them side by side.
EDIT: After searching a bit, I think all OEM birfields had the ABS ring surface.
Someone who deals with this everyday would be more qualified to answer, like Curt @ Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit . They also have a variety of birfield choices in stock and are strong supporters of this forum. He's also a nice guy.

I guess I was hoping to get some verification of whether or not a 91/92 birf is the same as the 93/94. BUT I did message cruiserteq (cruiser outfitters) and they said they’d get back to me on Monday with someone who would know about this stuff. Thanks for the tip!

You can also look at Slee Off Raload for RCV stock axle replacements.

I'd avoid the short spline birfs, especially if you are still full time 4WD. They were upgraded for a reason.

Terrain Tamer ones are cheaper and worked great for me when my short-spline birfs stripped out.

I’d love to go with either of these! But it’s hard to beat cruiserteqs price on birfs right now. And money for extra stuff like this is tight! I’m getting all my ducks in a row before me and some friends and Family go on a week long wheelin/ camping trip.

IIRR the change over from the short drive flange used on the short birfield C/V joints happen in April 1994. My truck is a 1994 and was made in March of 1994 and has the short birfield C/V joints and drive flanges. That being said all 1994 Land Cruisers made from April 1994 till the end of the production run in Dec. 1994 should have the long drive flanges and longer Birfield C/V joints.

Sorry to be late to the party, I’m trying to avoid starting a new post about something that was already previously covered. I think I have my answer from reading above, but given I’m new at this, I’m hoping just to get a thumbs up from someone who understands this better than myself. I’m in the middle of rebuilding my knuckles (cruiser outfitters kit) and as I was cleaning my passenger side CV I noticed the splines are badly worn (and I had replaced that drive flange a few months earlier without realizing how bad the CV was. Anyway, my ‘91 80 is on my friend’s lift at his commercial garage, he needs his lift back by Monday morning, and I found on a local FB group a fella with a spare birf, axle shaft, and flange from a late 94, disassembled, but complete, for a good deal, and only 1.5 hours away. Can I safely assume that his setup will fit my 91 as long as I also get his longer flange as well? Thanks for any help, if I don’t hear back here, I’ll try posting a new thread...

Sorry to be late to the party, I’m trying to avoid starting a new post about something that was already previously covered. I think I have my answer from reading above, but given I’m new at this, I’m hoping just to get a thumbs up from someone who understands this better than myself. I’m in the middle of rebuilding my knuckles (cruiser outfitters kit) and as I was cleaning my passenger side CV I noticed the splines are badly worn (and I had replaced that drive flange a few months earlier without realizing how bad the CV was. Anyway, my ‘91 80 is on my friend’s lift at his commercial garage, he needs his lift back by Monday morning, and I found on a local FB group a fella with a spare birf, axle shaft, and flange from a late 94, disassembled, but complete, for a good deal, and only 1.5 hours away. Can I safely assume that his setup will fit my 91 as long as I also get his longer flange as well? Thanks for any help, if I don’t hear back here, I’ll try posting a new thread...
Yes that will work. Make sure you get the drive flange with it.

Yes that will work. Make sure you get the drive flange with it.
Awesome thanks! Already picked it up a couple hours ago and will get busy on it tomorrow. He actually gave me his old axle shafts, birfields, and flanges for both sides. Would it make sense to use his D side birf on my P side to wear it in the opposite direction?

Awesome thanks! Already picked it up a couple hours ago and will get busy on it tomorrow. He actually gave me his old axle shafts, birfields, and flanges for both sides. Would it make sense to use his D side birf on my P side to wear it in the opposite direction?
Yes, depends how they look and how in depth you want to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom