fj80 axles in a fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruiserrich

Bench Wheeler
Threads
I have a 74 fj40 and was thinking about swapping in fj80 axles front and rear with e-lockers. I've been searching the tech section and the threads but I need somebody to dumb it down for me.:confused: Here are my questions:

1. How much stronger are 80 series birfs and can they be stuffed into a 40 series housing somehow.?

2. How much wider is the 80 front axle and can leaf springs be used with it without moving spring mounts on the frame.?

3.Is there a high steer kit available.?

4. Can manual hubs be installed?

5. would it be better than running a 76 and up fj40 axle with an arb locker and longfields or doing a mini truck disk brake conversion on my axle?

I hope to be doing some moderate to heavy wheeling in this thing and it's going to be my daily driver.

1. You can't stuff 80 birfs in a 40 housing.

2. The 80 axle is wider,, maybe 3 - 4". I'm sure someone smarter than me knows the exact measurement.. I don't see how you can add spring perches to an 80 axle without cutting off the coil buckets. Just go all out and switch to coils while you're at it.

3. Don't know.

4. Yes

5. This would be a whole lot easier.

That was fast! I love this forum! So you would go with the mini truck disk conversion? Are the mini truck birfs stronger than the 76 and up fj40 birfs? My buddy just broke 2 on his 85 4runner so I'm not too impressed with the mini truck birfs.

splines

30 at the pumkin 27 at the birf. stock except for earlier models

Have you considered doing this way.
keep you fornt axles, but swap the rear locking diff from the fj80 into them.
you could go with mini truck birfs and discs brake conv if you don't havea LC disc brake front axle handy .
Keep your stock rear axles and get a locker in them or
get a full floating rears and swap another rear locking diff from fj80 in them. I think that might be much cheaper and easier, doesn't improve it for highway use though.
If you keep your stock SF rears you will better off for hard offroad use.
I have seed the fj80 axles swap into fj40 (front axles). It is not that simple.
I don't know if it was here I seen it or somewhere else. I will look for it again.
Vic

Have you considered doing this way.
keep you fornt axles, but swap the rear locking diff from the fj80 into them.
you could go with mini truck birfs and discs brake conv if you don't havea LC disc brake front axle handy .
Keep your stock rear axles and get a locker in them or
get a full floating rears and swap another rear locking diff from fj80 in them. I think that might be much cheaper and easier, doesn't improve it for highway use though.
If you keep your stock SF rears you will better off for hard offroad use.
I have seed the fj80 axles swap into fj40 (front axles). It is not that simple.
I don't know if it was here I seen it or somewhere else. I will look for it again.
Vic

He want's the big birfs and the W I D T H :D

The main appeal to me with this swap is the electric lockers bigger birfs and disks. I'm not too sure about going to a wider axle and the more i think about it air lockers and the mini truck brake swap seem to be less hassle and better overall strength.

Are the 27 spline birfs on the disk brake fj40s much weaker than the 30 spline mini truck birfs? I'm considring swapping in a front axle from a 76 or later 40 cause i'm lazy.:D

minitruck birfs are the same as cruisers as far as spline count goes 27. Bobby Long sells chromoly 30 spline birfs w/inner axles that are much stronger than stock.

Width on a cruiser is a beautifull addition...

You could probably run a set of those nice alu fj cruiser rims. They have a big offset, that would about compensate for the wider axles if you could clear the steering. I've seen cast-offs 5 for $500 on cl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom