FJ80 axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80Diff

I'm replacing my stock worn out birf with a newfield and think i might have got the wrong part. The input splines to the newfield seam smaller than the axle. I haven't seperated the axle and birf because I'm afraid to break the old birf if the newfield is the wrong one. I'm taking my cruiser on a 1400 mile round trip to Vegas starting wednesday.

Does the end of the FJ80m axle step down at the birf joint??? ???

Re:FJ80 axle emergency

I'm fairly sure this will not matter, but you should post what year 80 you have and if you have locking factory diffs. I'm 90% sure they're all the same from 91 on, but more info is good.

Also, not sure what the basis for the emergency is unless you've realized you don't have a new clip for the birfield. All you need to break for the old birf is the clip. So if you're wrong, you just use the new clip to put the birf back together if the parts don't match.

DougM

FJ80 axle emergency

I'ts an unlocked 91 FJ80. My emergency is, I need this truck running to take on a trip in 4 days and if I got the wrong Newfield, I do not want to risk breaking the inner protion of the stock birf by pounding it with a hammer & punch. It took over a week to get the Newfield sent to me when I ordered it. THe OEM birf is worn out and clicking when I turn.

O yeh, I do have the clips and seals on hand

Greg

FJ80 axle emergency

If you use the "pipe method" you won't have to pound on anything.

FJ80 axle emergency

The pounding doesn't scare me. It's the not having the right part to put on that scares me. I picked up a piece of pipe but it is barely too small to clear the inner seal surface.

what I'm looking for is whether or not the diameter of the axle steps down at the outside end just before the spline that goes into the birfield.

FJ80 axle emergency

You have the parts in your hand, why not just take a look? Take apart the original birfield and try it. You said you have the clip, which is good since you have to put that shaft on the newfield.

Then again you could waste another day here on the board :slap:.

FJ80 axle emergency

:doh: Good point. Just got back from picking up a larger diameter pipe. Goin' for it. Didn't want to my hammer, we don't have a good history.

Thanks for setting me straight,
sorry for wastin your time.
Greg

FJ80 axle emergency

Here is a pic of both axles if it helps. I miked the outside of the splines and they both were 1.246 inches. The seal dia. was 1.380. Good luck.

Bill

FJ80 axle emergency

Thanks photoman. The difference I was concerned with was the iner and outer splines. I got mine apart and the outer spline is in fact smaller than the inner. So I did get the right parts and will proced with installation process.

Case closed :cheers:

On my 94 I hade to get the older flange as the outer shaft on the Newfield is shorter than the 94 outer flange.
I wounder if a lock out hub off a fj60 would work with the shorter shaft Newfield?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom