FJ80 Audio Enthusiasts $1000 challenge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am just building, but...

My FJ40 has had a flip down front, middle of the road Pioneer cd unit in it for about five years and, through mud, dust, water, grime, etc. It has yet to fail.
WOOD + KNOCK.

Not to mention, it has only skipped once and at that very instance, I came down on a boulder so hard it also tore one of my motor mounts off. :doh:

Someone once told me that Pioneer designed and perfected the CD unit.

I was never a big Pioneer fan before that, but the price was right at the time and now I am a fan. I will be putting the Pioneer DEH-P4700MP in my 80, on its way from Crutchfield. Unit, steering wheel remote and harness for my OEM all delivered to my house for $198.

MOSFET power is pretty decent as well, if you are not going for the big punch.

Now...Speakers...oh boy :rolleyes:

Just my $.02 :D
h130dehp470-o_FR_C.jpg

Sounds like a good system you got installed. Youve got lots of good equipment. The Dynamat really helps improve the sound too. Nice choice on the sub. Those G5's really have a warmer sounding bass with less "thump" than a lot of the competitors.

Nice components you have picked out. Give us an update when the install is complete.

I went with the:
Alpine 8655 HU - Installed
Sirius hook - Not installed.
iPod hook - Not installed.
Kenwood KAC-X811D Mono Subwoofer Amp.
Alpine MRP-T220 2 Channel Amp for the fronts. - Installed. Going to drive the rears from the HU.
Eclipse 8355 in the fronts - Installed. Thinking about changing out to SE8365. Same mounting depth.

Still to buy:
JL 8W7 Subwoofer.
Build sealed enclosure: 0.875 cu. ft

I have that same Pioneer head unit. It does not skip....very hard to make it skip. I also like the fact that, unlike the Alpine, when you click open the face plate to insert a cd, that thing is mechanical. The Alpine is an electric gizmo that swings down the faceplate. I figure the less gizmo-ness the better. I run it with 4 focal speakers, no sub. it sounds SWEET. Now, I'd like a sub, but I doid this for right at 1000 bucks and am very pleased....uh, my wife is very pleased....Also, I am not building a sub enclosure, and for hauling kids, dogs, camping gear, that area's space is at a premium .

UPDATE: Install going on as we speak. Going with the Pioneer shallow mount sub and attempting to mount the JL 500/5 amp and 12" Pioneer in the rear quarter panel and still be able to keep the jump seats. Should be a completely stealth install which will maintain the same cargo area and eliminate the thread of theft.
I hope to be able to post some pics in a week or two.

nice, make sure the amp has room to breath a little bit. Amps can get pretty hot when it comes to summer time and continuous power.

Sam

If you want space and sound, there are the shallow mount sub options.
Pioneer
Earthquake
Blaupunkt
These subs have a mounting depth of 2.5" and only need a little over 0.5 cu.ft. of internal space. There are 8, 10, 12" options. However they start at $250 a sub.

Hell, I got one in my single cab ford ranger, if that tells you anything.

Looks like you knew that already...oh well, the links are there for anyone else.

Last edited:
My system went as follows:

JVC DVD Head Unit $198
Kappa 5.25"s for the rear doors $50
Infinity 6.5"s for the front $45
Alpine 12" Type Rs $90 x2

And the one thing that will set me apart from you all with the crappy eastern import Rockford, JL Audio and whatever amps is!!!

Zed Audio made in the good ol' USA HIGH QUALITY Minilith amp bought direct from the man who makes them! for an amazing $220 shipped!

Total cost, $700 and I would bet money it would take ANY system above out!

ampsubs.JPG

fdoorspeakers.JPG

rdoorspeakers.JPG

This system sounds so crisp and clear! It's amazing SQ setup that sounds as good to Country as it does to Rap!

I have been thinking of building up a system in the LC but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My last "cool" system got stolen out of my BMW at the shop. They snagged the Eclipse "anti-theft" head unit. Some crackhead is really up to date on head units. They snagged a couple of amps and an Optima battery which was mounted in the trunk for whatever reason. The only redeeming thing the scumbags stole was my power acoustik bass tubes. Those jittering crackheads had to lug those bulky crap logs underneath a fence. I was pissed. I put together a moderate system for my jeep, but now I feel as though I need to build a monster again. Everything I read here seems to be complicated and tricky to do. Anyone have any luck with tweeter installing a good system in their LC?

Good help Sam. It look like I will be hitting you up for advise when we up grade our speakers etc.

murphy917 said:
UPDATE: Install going on as we speak. Going with the Pioneer shallow mount sub and attempting to mount the JL 500/5 amp and 12" Pioneer in the rear quarter panel and still be able to keep the jump seats. Should be a completely stealth install which will maintain the same cargo area and eliminate the thread of theft.
I hope to be able to post some pics in a week or two.

I'm digging this old thread up for a reason. Any pics of how the rear install of the Pioneer shallow mount sub went? I'd love to see them and hear how you went about getting the sub and amp mounted.

I just finished completing my install and will start another thread about it as soon as I get the photos up. The good news is the guy who built my sub box is willing to build them for the masses to accomodate a 10" or 12" shallow mounted sub. The best news is this would be a stealth box like the one just installed in mine that takes up the PS rear panel but leave almost all of the cargo room. It would be a 1 1/2 - 2 :banana: job for completing it on your own. The only thing the buyer would have to do is measure the spots to cut on the panel, cut the panel, mount the box, and run the wire.

Like I said -- more details in another thread.

Ed

Replace the speakers and buy an OME lift. Less than $1k.

cruiserman said:
Replace the speakers and buy an OME lift. Less than $1k.

I have my 4Runner for crawling. The Cruiser is going to be an expedition vehicle, so electronics and communications are a big part of the mods I'll be doing. Lift kit and bigger ties eventually, but this one is going to see a lot of highway miles as it's main function first.

Ed

This thread has given me some good ideas for my 80. I hate the stock system and it has to go SOON.

Cool thread,,, I used to be a car sound fanatic once now Im just a fanatic,,,I have a bunch of new unused stuff thats been lying around for ages that I want to put in the Cruiser,,,Rockford F power 51/4 splits 10inch punch (1/2cubeftbox) sub and 4 channel RF power amp,a cap,,,, I see there are a bunch of up to date fanatics out there,Im trying to choose a head unit, anyone know which specificaly have the 5 volt plus preouts, I also have an lcd screen lying around that Im tempted to bling up with, do you get HU these days with DVD to outboard screen outputs also need mp3 and it will be way cool to pop an sd card in, I see some even have gps, I plan on adding some MB quarts splits to the front, should be good in the end, just dont know what to do with the extra hole in the dash moving to single din, :cool:

AllenTenT said:
Cool thread,,, I used to be a car sound fanatic once now Im just a fanatic,,,I have a bunch of new unused stuff thats been lying around for ages that I want to put in the Cruiser,,,Rockford F power 51/4 splits 10inch punch (1/2cubeftbox) sub and 4 channel RF power amp,a cap,,,, I see there are a bunch of up to date fanatics out there,Im trying to choose a head unit, anyone know which specificaly have the 5 volt plus preouts, I also have an lcd screen lying around that Im tempted to bling up with, do you get HU these days with DVD to outboard screen outputs also need mp3 and it will be way cool to pop an sd card in, I see some even have gps, I plan on adding some MB quarts splits to the front, should be good in the end, just dont know what to do with the extra hole in the dash moving to single din, :cool:

Just use the second DIN for a storage pocket (CD's and what not)

Well, personally, I went with the eclipse 8445, found a RE Audio XXX 15 for $350 and a USAMPS MD2D for $360. The only problem is, its far from stealth >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom