fj80 and fzj80 front sway bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone know the difference between the 2 and if possible can you run the fzj80 sway bar on the fj80? The previous owner took the bar off. Great offroad but on the highway its for lack of a better word....squirley

does anyone know the difference between the 2 and if possible can you run the fzj80 sway bar on the fj80? The previous owner took the bar off. Great offroad but on the highway its for lack of a better word....squirley
I’m looking for an answer to this as well.

None of the suspension bits are different. A few websites I’ve seen list all 80’s as the same. Other day FZJ are different.

I believe the fj80 front sway bar is thinner. @GW Nugget had one in for a while. Hopefully he chimes in.
Well the goals to go a little beefier. If mounting points are the same that would be awesome. I have a 91’ HDJ81 and would like to tighten up the front a little more. The whiteline rear did a great job

Yes, I have both.
The fj80 sway bar is thinner than the fzj80 sway bar.
I currently still running the fj80 front bar.
The exact details are in my build thread.
Not sure what a HDJ80 has as far a thickness, but an fzj80 bar is like 11/8th inch, I want to say 30mm.

Last edited:
Here’s another option:

Not running a front sway bar and am hardly noticing it’s absence after installing a 30mm rear sway bar. Have driven multiple 1000 mile trips without any squirreliness.

Whiteline carries one. It really needs to be paired with a set of LCP Severe Duty Rear Sway Bar Links.

Well the goals to go a little beefier. If mounting points are the same that would be awesome. I have a 91’ HDJ81 and would like to tighten up the front a little more. The whiteline rear did a great job
If you’re running a lift with stock front geometry, no sway bar in the front can definitely suck. Id just go with a fzj80 bar and maybe add a shock with a little more compression valving if you’re still not happy.

I ordered a Whiteline BTF66X for the front to pair with the 30mm rear.

I have all the Dobinsons bells and whistles underneath and the delta panhard bracket as well as adjustable MMR shocks. I think it’s damn near perfect

I ordered a Whiteline BTF66X for the front to pair with the 30mm rear.

I have all the Dobinsons bells and whistles underneath and the delta panhard bracket as well as adjustable MMR shocks. I think it’s damn near perfect
Has anybody had issues with the whiteline bar pulling the axle side brackets out? I didn’t even know they made a front bar. And I’m jelly, I didn’t like dobinsons’ springs but I hear the MRRs are super nice.

Has anybody had issues with the whiteline bar pulling the axle side brackets out? I didn’t even know they made a front bar. And I’m jelly, I didn’t like dobinsons’ springs but I hear the MRRs are super nice.
I wouldn't run an HD front swaybar of any type without upgrading the axleside brackets. The stock brackets will not hold up if you plan to wheel and leave the swaybar connected. That's my two cents. You could probably do it for road driving and disconnect it for wheeling but otherwise I'd put some beefier brackets on the axle. Good shocks make a HUGE difference, especially if you have adjustable ones. I have the Stage5 double bypass Slinky shocks but I hear the Dobinson MRR shocks are also very nice. If you like to drive your truck on the aggressive side it's well worth the cost to upgrade to some high end shocks.

I am currently running the stock FJZ front swaybar and a HD Blackhawk rear swaybar. I like it a lot! There are times I want even more control in the front and have considered getting a Whiteline for the front. Up to this point I've just been increasing the dampening on my front shocks when I'm pushing the truck hard. But for me, I really think a bigger front swaybar with a bit less shock dampening would be pretty darn smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom