fj80 3rd members in late model 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may be a dumb waist of time question but would 80 series 3rd members with stock locker work in the rear of a late model 40. and the same goes for the front. thanks

yes with some mods. Can't use the front of the 80 howeverm this will work in a mini I think

FWIW the rear 80 series ring and pinnion work just fine in 40.55.60.ect.

the REAR 80 series 3rd will also work in the FRONT of a 40... but you need axles with longer splines or something, but only on specific sides... THEFERG knows, it was in a post a while ago. might come up with a search

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11042;start=msg99367#msg99367 date=1075944842]
yes with some mods. Can't use the front of the 80 howeverm this will work in a mini I think

FWIW the rear 80 series ring and pinnion work just fine in 40.55.60.ect.
[/quote]

Why won't the front from an 80 work in a 60 series? I'm considering regearing so I can switch to 33s so I'm trying to find out the best donor.

it is the mini sized diff. toyota 8 i believe

[quote author=cavsfj40 link=board=1;threadid=11042;start=msg99462#msg99462 date=1075951164]
it is the mini sized diff. toyota 8 i believe
[/quote]correct. The toy mini uses the 8" also.

yep, smaller, reverse cut and high pinion. For a 60/40/55 ect you would use 2 rear e lockers, one front one rear. I think the rear of the rig the e-locker is going is must be full floater.

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=11042;start=msg99443#msg99443 date=1075950230]
Why won't the front from an 80 work in a 60 series? I'm considering regearing so I can switch to 33s so I'm trying to find out the best donor.
[/quote]

Well, guys, one 80 3rd member will not work too well in a stock geared FJ60. See this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=10995
Gotta have 2. As long as you don't have the e-locker 80 third, the stock short spline axles and SF axles will work. The longer splined axle is not needed for the e-locker if you want to drive it locked all the time :)

The front 80 is not a direct fit on the mini axle. The bolt pattern is a bit different, but the housing can be modified. Ask the mini, excuse me, the Toy truck guys.

Dave

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=11042;start=msg99524#msg99524 date=1075955300]
The longer splined axle is not needed for the e-locker if you want to drive it locked all the time :)
[/quote]

You ever tried that Dave? 'Cause I thought the same thing so I tried it in mine and it wouldn't work--the short-splined shaft would still not go in far enough. I believe that you still need more length on the splines than a stock shaft has. It needs to engage both the side gear and the locked sleve...

Quick sum up of 80 series diffs in other LandCruisers (all USA stuff of course):

First, 80 series non-lock and e-lock diffs are 4.10, 62s are 4.11 (I think), 60s are 3.70s, 1979+ 40s/55s are also 3.70, 1978 40s/55s are 4.11s all those are fine spline pinion flange. 1977 and down are course spline pinion flange and are 4.11s. This, of course, all applies to fronts AND rears (in case you didn't know, you need the same diff ratio front and rear or else something go boom :slap: )

Next, 80 series fronts are 8 inch ring gear, rears are 9.5 inch ring gear. All other US Cruisers older than an 80 series have 9.5 inch ring gears front and rear. So, the front of an 80 is pretty much no good for an older LC, but the rear can be utilized.

All front axle assemblies of Cruisers (80 series and earlier) are "full-float". Almost all rear axle assemblies of US Cruisers pre-dating an 80 series are "semi-float". To use a stock LC electric locker (or cable locker) in an LC, it must have a full-float axle assembly.

The stock LC electric (and cable lockers) NEED a special long-splined axle shaft in order to function.

So, you can put an electric locker from the REAR of an 80 into the front of ANY older LC, you just need the special long-splined shaft, which would need to be the LONG side (inner). But, in order to put the same electric locker from the REAR of an 80 into the rear of any older LC, you must acquire a full-float rear axle assembly AND the special long-splined shaft, which, for the rear, needs to be the short side.

Also, if you want to put a non-lock rear into an older LC, it will fit in either front or rear with no issues.

Did I miss anything? :flipoff2:

-Ferg-

Oops! I meant:

Did I miss anything? :flipoff2:

01_040.jpg

-Ferg-

If they've still got 'em, Cruiser Outfitters here in Utah was sellin' used 62 thirds for $90 each. That's the best deal I've ever seen on them anywhere. They usually go for $150-250 each. Shouldn't be more than 25-30 or so to ship I would bet, but don't quote me 'cause I don't know for sure. If you call 'em, tell who sent ya. ;)

-Ferg-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom