FJ75 JDM Fire Truck Conversion. Anyone Successful? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, all. New to the forum. I've been searching for an FJ43 LC for a while, but happened across a really minty FJ75 JDM fire truck. I found a few threads of similar attempts, but most didn't have final pictures or consensus thoughts. Crusher's thread was a bit disheartening. I was wondering if anyone had success, final pictures, or thoughts on the conversion. Initial idea would be to remove the fire truck backing, maybe part it out, then install a standard FJ75 truck bed. Long term goal would be to outfit it into a camper truck.

The main reason I am considering this is because the truck is so darn clean and beautiful. It would be a shame to just sit as a show piece, but I don't really like the idea of driving a heavy fire truck around town.
fj75truck.JPG

Hi,

Welcome to Mud. Yeah there's at least 5 or so people doing this at the moment. @JDMBC has a thread started on his HZJ79 fire truck, and I just started posting about mine, but I have yet to remove the fire truck body yet. I would suggest considering a flat deck as an option vs a factory box.

Hi,

Welcome to Mud. Yeah there's at least 5 or so people doing this at the moment. @JDMBC has a thread started on his HZJ79 fire truck, and I just started posting about mine, but I have yet to remove the fire truck body yet. I would suggest considering a flat deck as an option vs a factory box.
Curious as to why you recommend the flat deck versus a factory box? Would there be too many complications in fitting a factory box on? The rest of the truck geometry looks pretty similar, so I thought it would be straight forward.

Curious as to why you recommend the flat deck versus a factory box? Would there be too many complications in fitting a factory box on? The rest of the truck geometry looks pretty similar, so I thought it would be straight forward.
My main reason is the amount of space offered by using a factory box will be less than a flat deck. It depends on what you plan to do with the truck in the end. You can fit a 6' long flat deck without compromising the off road capability. Also flat deck manufacturers are able to include creative storage solutions that a factory box won't be able to. I really love the looks of the factory box, but in the end I decided against it. If you have instagram, there's a ton of Aussie 79s on there with a wide array of flat decks / metal canopies to inspire a design.

My main reason is the amount of space offered by using a factory box will be less than a flat deck. It depends on what you plan to do with the truck in the end. You can fit a 6' long flat deck without compromising the off road capability. Also flat deck manufacturers are able to include creative storage solutions that a factory box won't be able to. I really love the looks of the factory box, but in the end I decided against it. If you have instagram, there's a ton of Aussie 79s on there with a wide array of flat decks / metal canopies to inspire a design.
That all makes sense. I think I'd be looking for a stock-ish look until I decided to fit a camper, sometime later down the road. I don't really have much use case for the truck bed, so not too worried about the practicality. It's more of a looks thing.

I am a bit surprised that this era of FJ landcruisers don't command a bit more of a premium. I would have thought a stock truck version of this would be like a 40-50k vehicle in this condition. Seems like they aren't quite valued like the Fj60s and 40s.

I saw a photo (can’t remember where it was published) where the pump under the rear seat had been removed, the rear floor had been repaired and the elevated roof had been replaced with the low profile roof from a dual cab 79 Series. It looked great. 😊

I saw a photo (can’t remember where it was published) where the pump under the rear seat had been removed, the rear floor had been repaired and the elevated roof had been replaced with the low profile roof from a dual cab 79 Series. It looked great. 😊

Was that this one of Eco Offroad?
1642790399043.png

I am really liking the flatbed/ute look. I think there was another one in red as well somewhere.

Not a 75, but I'm working on an FJ62 fire truck. Still very much a work in process, but so far its still a great platform!

1642790915939.png

-Rob

That all makes sense. I think I'd be looking for a stock-ish look until I decided to fit a camper, sometime later down the road. I don't really have much use case for the truck bed, so not too worried about the practicality. It's more of a looks thing.

I am a bit surprised that this era of FJ landcruisers don't command a bit more of a premium. I would have thought a stock truck version of this would be like a 40-50k vehicle in this condition. Seems like they aren't quite valued like the Fj60s and 40s.

You actually used to be able to get the fire trucks for almost nothing, sub-$10k. Nobody really wanted them besides, firefighters.

As Cruisers have become more popular and prices increased, the same has happened to fire trucks.

Cheers

Not a 75, but I'm working on an FJ62 fire truck. Still very much a work in process, but so far its still a great platform!

View attachment 2901204

-Rob
Looking good. How was removing the pump station?

@bdsmitty88 Bit late to your thread but did you decide if you were going to pull the trigger on a 75 ex fire?

As for the removal of the pump station it is a bit of a process but not overly complicated. You could use either an overhead hoist or in my case we used an excavator to lift it off once all the contact points had been addressed. In my case it took a bit as the rear pump station was bolted and welded.

@Kroll already mentioned a flat deck instead of the factory tub and I would second his suggestion. In the next few months I will be installing a Summit Expedition Truck (SET) tray. The reason I went this route is I feel it will give me better storage (rear tool boxes, pullout tray) etc as well as many other options that can be added at anytime as it is a modular system. It provides better access to the truck bed with the drop down sides as well. Feel free to DM me for any other questions regarding the tray. I also think it looks badass with the UTE style trays over the stock tub.

Good luck with your decision and DM me if you have any questions!

@bdsmitty88 Bit late to your thread but did you decide if you were going to pull the trigger on a 75 ex fire?

As for the removal of the pump station it is a bit of a process but not overly complicated. You could use either an overhead hoist or in my case we used an excavator to lift it off once all the contact points had been addressed. In my case it took a bit as the rear pump station was bolted and welded.

@Kroll already mentioned a flat deck instead of the factory tub and I would second his suggestion. In the next few months I will be installing a Summit Expedition Truck (SET) tray. The reason I went this route is I feel it will give me better storage (rear tool boxes, pullout tray) etc as well as many other options that can be added at anytime as it is a modular system. It provides better access to the truck bed with the drop down sides as well. Feel free to DM me for any other questions regarding the tray. I also think it looks badass with the UTE style trays over the stock tub.

Good luck with your decision and DM me if you have any questions!

I decided to pass on the fire truck. It would just be too much work and too much of a hassle for me right now. I found a super clean FJ45 that I think I'm going to go with, instead.

You actually used to be able to get the fire trucks for almost nothing, sub-$10k. Nobody really wanted them besides, firefighters.

As Cruisers have become more popular and prices increased, the same has happened to fire trucks.

Cheers
haha, it's painful now....$30k didn't even win one at auction recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom