Fj73 fuel economy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I’ve got a fj73 with 3f and a440 running on petrol and gas and fuel economy is just killing me it’s roughly running 30L/100 on gas and 20L/100 on petrol
Has anyone been able to reduce this at all and what are my options to fix this engine or to try and swap the engine possibly just completely swap over to diesel, only issue is I’m currently on my P plates in Victoria and so I’m very limited but putting in a engine that’s been in any MWB I’m sure the cops would be none the wiser

Last edited:
Best thing is a 1HZ, it needs some new engine brackets welded on . Do it properly and the cops will pass it first time.
They just checked the welding, exhaust, electrical and charged a half inspection fee. This was in Perth.
Much of the things that bolt to the engine had to swapped from one side to the other.
And you'll need another radiator

But it maybe out of your budget. I spent about $10k but I had a rebuilt engine and most of the things that bolted to the engine were new or refurbished.
I think you could save a lot if you could find a totalled HZJ75 ute or troopy but its going to cost the best part of $5k I think doing it cheap.

You'll also need to put the 1HZ input shaft into your auto which means a strip down.
A440 autos for 1HZ are not common in Australia, they are available from Japan but thats a whole new rabbit hole.

Best thing is a 1HZ, it needs some new engine brackets welded on . Do it properly and the cops will pass it first time.
They just checked the welding, exhaust, electrical and charged a half inspection fee. This was in Perth.
Much of the things that bolt to the engine had to swapped from one side to the other.
And you'll need another radiator

But it maybe out of your budget. I spent about $10k but I had a rebuilt engine and most of the things that bolted to the engine were new or refurbished.
I think you could save a lot if you could find a totalled HZJ75 ute or troopy but its going to cost the best part of $5k I think doing it cheap.

You'll also need to put the 1HZ input shaft into your auto which means a strip down.
A440 autos for 1HZ are not common in Australia, they are available from Japan but thats a whole new rabbit hole.
Ideally I’d put in a 1hz but just have to make sure that VicRoads will allow it because they’re the ones that’ll decide in the end (legally) having the donor car would be perfect too and the strip down would be worth it in the end

I just read that there was a hzj73 model in Japan that is just a fj73 with a 1hz, would that then classify the 1hz as a possible “stock” motor in the car because one of vicroads rules is that the motor replaced has to have been a stock option to a degree

I just read that there was a hzj73 model in Japan that is just a fj73 with a 1hz, would that then classify the 1hz as a possible “stock” motor in the car because one of vicroads rules is that the motor replaced has to have been a stock option to a degree
Yeah theoretically I think that would fly. Another option is a 12HT which would be not far off bolt in where a 3F came out, but they ain't easy to come by these days

I just read that there was a hzj73 model in Japan that is just a fj73 with a 1hz

They sold a few here as well and the PZJ7*, but rare. The heavy duty 7* had about 9 engines . I cant see it being a problem as the states go by the Australian Standards rather than state rules these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom