FJ70 rear drum brakes to 77 FJ45? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm already swapping out the disks and steering, is there anything keeping me from swapping the rear drum brakes of a 90 fj70 to the rear of a 77FJ45, backing plates on out ? Thanks.

77 fj45s have extra heavy, wider, larger... Don't think they'd work.

Mmm, well I guess you must mean "work" in the sense that they won't bolt on, cuz I'm pretty sure if they will stop an FJ70 they'll stop a FJ45, heavy cargo not withstanding? I guess I just want to know if the axle housings are the same. Ill know soon enough, next couple of days I'm stripping my FJ70. If they won't work I can live with that funky double cyl system on the rear.

I just helped a friend with his HJ47 - Diesel version of the FJ45

With some coil over shocks and disk brakes the truck stops on a dime...

Make sure you throw a portioning valve.. Otherwise you will be doing 70% of the braking on the rear wheel ..

You could just take the whole 70 series rear diff/axle setup and install it into your 45, the spring perches will have to be moved though to match the 45. Otherwise, assuming the setup is the same as the Landcruisers here in Australia, the 1977 backing plates are held on by 6 or 8 bolts, post 1979 or 1980 backing plates are 4 bolt.

Yes! herbs is correct. Swap the whole axle onto your 45 by shifting the spring perches.
Year 77 backing plate is held by 6 bolts only whereas the post 80 had decreased the bolt to 4 only. So doesn't fit.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom