FJ62's Overheating. Several of us don't know why. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boycott Amazon and eBay.... or buy at your own risk.
I will only purchase parts from a known Toyota parts dealer.

I don't remember the color but I remember it being strange that it was a sticker and wasn't in the casting itself. I'm going to order an FCT-049 and compare them.

What is the difference between FCT-049 and FCT-017? I have a new FCT-017 and potential overheating issues. and I have not driven it enough to hear the roar, it overheated on the maiden voyage but that might have been user error and a burping issue.

Update. And Went ahead and ordered the FCT-049. Did some searches. Haven't heard the FCT-017 spool up yet. I can possibly take apart the FCT-017 and use my RC shock oil and try a different viscosity later.
Where did you order it from?

It should be blatantly obvious if your fan clutch is engaging. The OEM Aisin fan clutches will nearly free-wheel when the engine doesn't need cooling, but when they heat up, they engage HARD. The fan absolutely roars. I have a magnaflow muffler on my 62 (not a particularly loud muffler), and if you rev the engine to ~2,500-3,000 RPM the fan is FAR louder than the exhaust.

Here's a good video demonstrating how loud a mechanical fan can get when locked up:

If you're hitting 230-240*F and the fan isn't that loud - then either your radiator is plugged or your fan clutch is bad.

It should be blatantly obvious if your fan clutch is engaging. The OEM Aisin fan clutches will nearly free-wheel when the engine doesn't need cooling, but when they heat up, they engage HARD. The fan absolutely roars. I have a magnaflow muffler on my 62 (not a particularly loud muffler), and if you rev the engine to ~2,500-3,000 RPM the fan is FAR louder than the exhaust.

Here's a good video demonstrating how loud a mechanical fan can get when locked up:

If you're hitting 230-240*F and the fan isn't that loud - then either your radiator is plugged or your fan clutch is bad.

Wow, mine has never done that. New fan clutch it is! I'm feeling pretty good about this!

Alright, I just ordered the FCT-049 fan clutch from partsgeek to avoid Amazon. Should have it by next week sometime. Fingers crossed! 🤞

My new fan clutch came in. This thing is big! I'm planning on installing it tomorrow along with the new radiator. Wish me luck! 🤞

Mine is sitting on the shop floor. It is large compared to FCT-017. Headed 4wheeling with some friends tomorrow morning for a few days, hope to get to my fan clutch mid October. Will also be revising my radiator shroud. My install may be a bit more labor intensive. Hope it fixes your heat issues.

Mine is sitting on the shop floor. It is large compared to FCT-017. Headed 4wheeling with some friends tomorrow morning for a few days, hope to get to my fan clutch mid October. Will also be revising my radiator shroud. My install may be a bit more labor intensive. Hope it fixes your heat issues.
That fan shroud mod is wonderful! I can’t twll you HOW glad I am that I took the time to cut that thing in half. It saves your ass next time you have to get in there and change or tighten a hose.

That fan shroud mod is wonderful! I can’t twll you HOW glad I am that I took the time to cut that thing in half. It saves your ass next time you have to get in there and change or tighten a hose.
Oooh!!! Just read about that! Seems like a great mod! I think I might go that route as well :)

Ran outta sunlight. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow or this weekend to see the results. Stay tuned!
She's fixed! Hottest I hit was 191 on my test drive! FCT-049 for the win!

Cool! is the roar louder?
There is an actual roar now. Wasn't before. I've been drinking jack and cokes and just watching the fan clutch engage all while laughing. I am beyond happy AND I found I'm going to be an uncle again today! Perfect day!

There is an actual roar now. Wasn't before. I've been drinking jack and cokes and just watching the fan clutch engage all while laughing. I am beyond happy AND I found I'm going to be an uncle again today! Perfect day!
Great news and even better news!!! ...🥃🥃

Ah. I thought I updated this thread. A few months later and the cruiser is doing great. I've driven it from Truckee to the Bay Area a few times already and the temps never exceeded 195. I'm guessing that's when the fan clutch kicks in? I never hear it over the sound of my music but I'm happy. It's at the point now where I'm almost used to not looking at the temp gauge constantly. Truly a joyful experience every time I drive it. :) Still glad I did the Thermocure becuase it did remove a ton of crap but I'm pretty sure the fan clutch and aluminum radiator did most of the work. Now onto the engine in my 77 FJ40. THAT has a ton of rust in it as it was never drained and sat for 20 years. Hopefully I'll be able to get that sorted.

If you have added lift and/or bigger tires, then you need to make sure you are running the proper gears for your setup.

If you have added lift and/or bigger tires, then you need to make sure you are running the proper gears for your setup.
Yeah. That's the eventual plan. I'll be running 4.88's with ARB's once I have the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom