Fj62 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All

Its been awhile but I have another question. Yes there is a search button but I am asking anyway. I think my 3F is dying on me. Can I get a 2F to bolt right up to my 88 FJ62? I hate fuel injection just to mention that as well. Or would it be easier to put in a chev motor? I was on the advance adapters website yesterday and they have kits but they they are not cheap. Oh and another thing would a bad exhaust manifold cause a pinging sound? I need to replace the whole exhaust system anyway.

Thanks Again for your patience and please dont hesitate to answer my questions.

What makes you think the 3FE is dying? What are your symptoms? You say you need to replace the whole exhaust. A bunch of manifold leaks are going to make it run like crap, so I would start there. Tell us what's going on and maybe we can help narrow down the problem.

I like carbs but never thought of doing that swap? Since you asked here is my long winded story. My FJ was my DD up untill Mar this year. Then it just got underpowered and ran rough and noisy. I left it alone and then a week later after boosting it to get it started it was really running loud and there was a knocking sound. You can also smell the exhaust from the mainifold. I know it needs almost if not all the exhaust replaced. It is rusted out beyond repair. It does run but is under powered. It seems now that my tranny might be slipping as well but I am not certain if it is related. I have it advertised to sell but if I can fix it relatively chaep then I might do that. I am asking $2650 CDN for it presently. It might be easier to find a 2F than a 3F. I have had lots of suggestions on what the noise could be but I do not know what it is. So there is my dilema.

Thanks

well IMOP, putting a carb in it would be silly and probably the direction i wouldnt go. if you plan on keeping the rig, troubleshoot it BEFORE you start talking "V8 swap, 2F, etc...". you will end up spending wayyyy more going that direction, than you would with just finding out what your problems are. take it to a reputable shop in your area to get a better idea of whats going on, and if it all seems like it not worth it, part your rig out, or sell "as is". -other sean

also, fuel injection rocks! #1- a properly running 3FE will get better gas mileage than a carb'd 2F. #2-theyll pretty much run upside down. nothing worse than getting on a steep incline, and your carb starts to act up!

I hate Fuel injection and prefer a carb. Do to many circumstances the vehicle cannot go to a shop. Dianostic and repair has to be done in my driveway. As for cost that is why I am looking at what is cheapest. I dont care about gas mileage as I do not drive my offroader very far except on the trails anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom