Fj62 won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ62 sat for about 5 weeks. (Medical issues with wife)

went to start it. Nothing. Used a battery booster from neighbor. Started perfectly

drove 80 miles. Stopped at gas station. Complexity dead. Won’t start

had a friend tried to jump for 20 min on Lexus RX - all interior lights will come on - half crank: won’t start.

flagged a tow truck driver. He gave a boost from one of those big packs they carry - started right away . Drove home

this morning at home - no start. Interior lights on. Not a single crank as you turn the battery

batt has date 2/2020

is it starter ?
Is it battery?
is it alternator ?

Appreciate th

What have you checked already?
If you have a FSM, it has a pretty good troubleshooting tree for a no-start condition.

What have you checked already?
If you have a FSM, it has a pretty good troubleshooting tree for a no-start condition.
Thank you.
Havent checked anything yet

was going to go out and buy a new battery today and figure I would ask friends here before doing so

don’t have FSM currently at my location

Someone on the forums has uploaded them (aka free digital copy). I downloaded a copy to my phone cuz my paper copy is yuuuuuuge & heavy.
Nobody here knows what your problem is without testing/inspecting things. It could be all three, it could be none. You can throw some parts at it and it may or may not fix your problem.
That's my free advice (It's worth as much as you paid for it). HTH

I haven’t used them for this but I believe AutoZone offers free battery testing and charging. You could always pull it, take it there and see what they say. At least you’d know if you have a bad battery or not. Only one year old, but it can happen. I’d figure out the battery sitch before burning a bunch of time on other potential problems.

I’d start by reading the battery voltage with the truck running. As long as voltage running is 13-14.4 volts your alternator is fine.

next i would make sure all your battery cables are in good condition and the terminals are clean and tight. Make sure all the grounds are clean as well.

read the voltage at the battery when truck is off. And go to a parts store and have the battery tested. New batteries can go bad.

X2 to @Seth S check and clean battery connections

my WAG is it is running off the alternator when started but no connection to battery for starting

Some places like shops like firestone will do free battery/alternator testing ( I think free) with this fancy do-daad that takes like 3 min.

Battery post can oxidize resulting in high resistance. You can check by measuring voltage between the lead post and battery cable clamp while trying to crank. Any voltage found here means you have to clean the posts. When you jump, you connect to the battery cable clamp, bypassing the battery post to clamp connection.

Check posts are clean and make sure terminals are tight to start. Generally I start ripping out the alternator and starter first, and then later discover it was just a loose connection at the battery. Don't be like me. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom