FJ62 won't start after sitting for months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just drained my fuel tank on my FJ62 and put a few gallons of fresh gas in it. It turns over but won't start. I've noticed a couple vacuum lines from the air filter have been cut. Would this keep it from starting? It sputtered a couple times after cranking it and spraying some starting fluid into the filter but never fired up. Any thoughts? Thank you

Fix the vacuum lines.

verify spark and fuel.

Verify fuel by: make sure the gas is 1/2 way up in the site glass at the front of the carb. If your truck has been sitting a while you may have to crank it several times to prime the fuel bowl ..ie get the fuel pump to push fuel up to it. remove the air cleaner and while moving the linkage at the back of the carb, verify that fuel is squirting down into the carb.

Put a charger on your battery, If its been sitting that long, you will drain it quickly and if it's below 12v you may not have enough juice to turn the flywheel fast enough to get it to fire.

Once fuel is in the bowl, pull the choke switch on the dash, verify that the choke plate is closing on the top of the carb. and pump the accelerator pedal 2 to 4 times and turn the key.

Putting a flashlight on the front of the carb will help you to see to fuel in the sight glass. Bump the fender with your hip and watch for the fuel to move.

It should be in the narrow section in the center of the glass.

Verify fuel by: make sure the gas is 1/2 way up in the site glass at the front of the carb. If your truck has been sitting a while you may have to crank it several times to prime the fuel bowl ..ie get the fuel pump to push fuel up to it. remove the air cleaner and while moving the linkage at the back of the carb, verify that fuel is squirting down into the carb.

Put a charger on your battery, If its been sitting that long, you will drain it quickly and if it's below 12v you may not have enough juice to turn the flywheel fast enough to get it to fire.

Once fuel is in the bowl, pull the choke switch on the dash, verify that the choke plate is closing on the top of the carb. and pump the accelerator pedal 2 to 4 times and turn the key.

Putting a flashlight on the front of the carb will help you to see to fuel in the sight glass. Bump the fender with your hip and watch for the fuel to move.

It should be in the narrow section in the center of the glass.

FJ62 fuel injected. No carb unless this is a non-North American model.

I’d pull the cap and make sure the cap and rotor contacts are clean and dry. I’d also pull the leads from the cap and put them back in one at a time to make sure they are clean. Do the same at the plug end. Wouldn’t hurt to pull and inspect the plugs too.

A fuel pressure gage is best way to verify fuel pressure.

also you can unplug and plug in all the sensors, tps, airflow meter etc. sometimes the contacts corrode if sitting for a while.

make sure there isn’t a mouse nest in the airbox

Maybe it never started before sitting for months. The cut vacuum lines hint to this

Hi, Try putting more gas into tank.Try to start. Mike

Yes this is a 62 so it's EFI... I will try adding more gas. I drove it last year and parked it where it sits so I was expecting it would start back up after the fuel was changed. The vacuum lines are old so I'm guessing when I pulled the air filter out the vacuum lines broke. I didn't think the vacuum ines would prevent the truck from starting. Thank you guys for your help

Dang it... I always forget to think about if it's a 62 or 60.
hey, thanks anyway... I just acquired an FJ60 and it was hard to start when it arrived by car hauler... your post is valuable to me going forward... I also appreciate how you explain (by not assuming folks know) and break it down on steps.... kudos (this baby just arrived from Honolulu to Tennessee after a 30-day journey!)

Arrived 1.jpg

arrived 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom