FJ62 with 94k miles in good condition for $2.000? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there,

I'm using this forum for quite a while now, but up to now I was only reading and observing.

Today I could need your help and your critical and experienced view concerning an offer for a FJ62 - which seems too wonderful to be true and therefore I got quite skeptical - so any help is highly appreciated …

all.jpeg

On Sunday I found a red FJ62 offer on carsforsale.com, which was linked to a dealer in Ocala, Florida; on carsforsale.com and as well on the dealers homepage it said: " - FOR SALE BY OWNER - This vehicle was listed on behalf of the owner." - I got in contact with the dealer on monday morning, he told me, that she has already been sold and he will take the offer from his webpage (he had about 50 cars on his site, about 30 from the 60ties up to the 90ties, all extremly cheep and in good condition, today there are only about 20 left, all contemporary cars with normal prices).

Since I sent a request from the carsforsale.com website for the VIN, yesterday evening the owner sent me an email, sent me further pictures of her (on carsforsale.com and on the dealers homepage were only three, now I received the three again and three further pics) and wrote the following:

"Hi, thanks for being interested in buying my 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser. It is in perfect condition, 94k original miles, no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, rust, special marks whatsoever. The interior looks great, runs like new and all services are up to date. Also, I need to mention that it was never involved in any accidents.
The price is $2,000 (non-negotiable). This belonged to my husband and after he passed away I decided to sell it. My name is on the title.
I moved at my daughter because I had a throat surgery and I will remain here for few months at least. I'm located in …, CO and I took the vehicle with me. I gave it to eBay Motors who will deliver it to the next owner. The transaction will be made through them for our own safety because I can't deal in person. The best part about this is that you'll get 5 days for inspection for free with no further obligation or fees.
If you're interested in purchasing it just email me your full name, full address and phone # so that I can initiate the deal through eBay Motors and they will contact you to explain the procedure.
Thank you very much and waiting to hear from you,
Jill P…"

I answered her in the meantime expressing my further interest, sent her my contact data and am now waiting for a further response -

So … this all sounds great on the one side, but on the other side … there are quite several things, that sound very or even extraordinarily strange and weird …

- Several old vehicles in good shape for very low prices
- a FJ62 with 94k miles in very good shape (like it seems) for $2.000 (incredible …)
- this mail, which sounds like a honeypot for credulous people
- what has ebay motors to do with the processing or the transaction of vehicles - do they overtake such services in the US?
- I haven’t seen any documents, haven’t received a VIN and have no idea, how the car looks underneath or in the motor compartment

Yes - it’s true, I really got hot about this rig since it is in a configuration, which I am looking for a long time now.

So what do you think about all this?

Any further questions, thoughts, experiences are highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Hubertus

carsforsale.com.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for your evaluation - and haha ... sounds like a great deal ... but: "... I'm located in …, CO and I took the vehicle with me. ..." I assume that the 200 will not be sufficient ...

Can you explain to me, if it is a scammer, why they don't ask for example $12.000 which still would be a good price?

OT: wow, I really loved to see the pics on your fb-side, amazing!

Last edited:
Thank you too -
didn't hear from Mrs. Jill P. again up to now ... maybe she is tired of playing ...

Thank you two as well for reading and giving your assessment to the case -
Didn't have much hope right from the start, since the circumstances are too odd and 'fantastic' ...
Thanks as well for the hint with ebay motors, being from Europe I'm not familiar with possible services of them in the US -

The game goes on ...

"Hi, I can arrange delivery to Germany for $1000. Let me know if you agree.
Thank you, Jill"

Shipping quotes from LA, CA to Bremen, Germany - I asked earlier some shipping companies - where $1.500, 2.000 up to 2.200 ...
If the red beauty exists - she is either located in Colorado or in Ocala, FL ...

I guess, I do have an idea, what might come next ... 😁

Very common scam and the eBay Motors part really seals the deal that it is. A buddy was looking at a trailer recently and the same nonsense came up. Glad you avoided a major headache.

I think the lower number means they can draw in many more people, and also that maybe some will be less likely to report out of embarrassment and simply write it off.

Thank you kindly as well for your thoughts and comments -
After asking for copies of the papers, the VIN and other things, I didn't hear anything more from 'Jill P.' ...

@netzbub - send me your full name, address, social security number and name of your first born child. Once I receive this info, I’ll let you know if this is a scam or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom