FJ62 Windshield Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheBlackSheep

SILVER Star
Threads
Located in Indiana! I have a crack across the driver side of my windshield and have struggled finding somewhere that can get ahold of the glass to replace it. I searched the forum for related threads, but they were so old the information was outdated. One mentioned they had a successful replacement with Safelite with them providing the gasket. Anyone more recent have any experience with Safelite, or anywhere else, getting their windshields replaced or have any suggestions??

I love my FJ62 to death, but the difficulty of finding parts and/or someone to work on it in southern Indiana is wearing me thin on vintage LC ownership. :(

There is a part number right on the windshield. Go to a glass shop and ask.
There is still availability through most glass distributors. If you need a new rubber gasket
then call Kurt @cruiseroutfitters

Even if you do find a replacement windsheild, parts availability for the rest of the vehicle will only get worse with the passing of time.
Maybe now is a good time to reasses the fantasy of owning a 30 year old cruiser.

Maybe now is a good time to reasses the fantasy of owning a 30 year old cruiser.
It’s a fantasy when you don’t own a Land Cruiser and you wish you owned a Land Cruiser.
Owning a Land Cruiser is a lifestyle. Many other things must be sacrificed to own a
Land Cruiser.

DON'T use safelite.

This is good Chinese Glass, 'bout the only thing you're going to find now, unless you can source some NOS PPG (under diff name now) glass. Find an independent shop and have them order it and either use the OE rubber or the aftermarket is good too. Precision makes it. A mom 'n Pop shop will install correctly. Safelite will install quickly...

I just called to confirm and they have multiple units. I have this in my truck and good quality. They're in OH, so not too bad on shipping for you unless you wanna make the long drive.

Last edited:
PGW is the new name for PPG. Find an auto body shop that also does glass, rather than the Safelite/Elite bunch. And after they are done, follow the FSM page on glass replacement, and caulk all the way around the new glass so that it doesn't leak.

This is still on the list for me to get done as soon as I get myself a new OEM lock strip gasket. I'm still convinced that the lock strip gasket resists leakage better than even a properly installed non lock strip gasket. No chrome for me though. Got the rubber lock strip from @kevinmrowland a few years back and it's still in the packaging :hillbilly:

I’m looking into this as well. Here is what I’m finding in my area. Binswanger glass has XYG brand for $120, glass only, cash and carry. Safelite has Fuygo brand for $218, glass only.

Hi, I have 60 and 62 s with and without the lock or chrome strip. I Have found NO leakage difference . If installed according to the Manual they don’t leak. Mike

I had my windshield replaced by safelite today. Two hour job. I supplied Toyota gasket and chrome. Fuyao FW00425BTN without dark blue sun strip. I’m going to get some Llumar Air 80 tint installed next week all around.

CFA90A17-0FE9-4ABA-8088-EC18E8A32353.jpeg

I had my windshield replaced by safelite today. Two hour job. I supplied Toyota gasket and chrome. Fuyao FW00425BTN without dark blue sun strip. I’m going to get some Llumar Air 80 tint installed next week all around.

View attachment 2495320
Looks good.... if you don’t mind posting a couple pics of the tint when done.... I’m getting ready to redo my tint... thanks.

Llumar air blue 80 on all windows and windshield installed today. Hardly noticeable.

View attachment 2508093

View attachment 2508094
Does that provide UV protection too? I've heard of clear "tint" coatings that offer very good UV protection to prevent carpet and vinyl damage that I want to have put on all my glass.

Edit, just found it online. Looks like good stuff! Wonder if it would offer any physical protection for the defrost grid on the rear hatch glass. I suspect I'm going to have to do a DIY grid replacement when I get to that as it's getting next to impossible to find either new or 100% working good quality OEM rear glass. My glass is good, but the grid is in rough shape.

Last edited:
Yes, it is ceramic with heat and UV blocking properties.

I think i will probably protect the defroster grids just like other tint. I repaired one small grid line break with the permatex product. Seems ok. It doesn’t lay down as smoothly.

Llumar air blue 80 on all windows and windshield installed today. Hardly noticeable.

View attachment 2508093

View attachment 2508094
Man that looks good. I'm leaning toward returning to the "clear look." Always had the dark tint on rear windows and medium tint on front windows, But its hard to see thru at night. I'm going to discuss the Llumar Air Blue 80 with my window tint guy. Much appriciate the follow up pictures.

1989 FJ62.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom