FJ62 Windshield DIY Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just an update on windshield replacements. I got one “made in China” off eBay. Maybe $400 shipped. SOR wanted $1,200. It has the tint on the upper section which is actually pretty nice. I got the OEM rubber from my local Toyota dealer in Long Beach. I also got some rubber lock strip with the installation tool off Amazon just in case. My intent was to keep the original chrome strips. I’ve never done any kind of auto glass before.
I basically followed the FSM instructions, which I found somewhere on here.

Keep In mind, I tried to find some one to do this install for me. All star, safe lite, some local shops, “Dirk”, no one would do it. So here goes nothing
  1. Removed rear view mirror and visors. Removed wipers
  2. In order to keep the original chrome lock strips in good enough shape to re-install, you have to cut the old rubber from the outside. I used a utility knife around the whole windshield. Between the chrome and the glass. The chrome pieces came out pretty easily and I kept them in order on the ground so I could put them back together in the right places.
  3. Then I could push the windshield out from the inside to my helper who removed my cracked windshield from the outside.
  4. Next, I pulled the remaining rubber from the frame edges and cleaned the metal carefully with a razor blade, putty knife, shop towels and some goof off.
  5. I had some very minor rust spots in both bottom corners. I wire brushed them and treated them with rust inhibitor.
  6. Then I set up some saw horses with bubble wrap from the new windshield packaging rolled and taped around the tops of them. I set the new windshield on top of those and applied the new rubber gasket to it. I made sure it was completely pressed on.
  7. Next, I inserted a long length of paracord into the outside groove of the rubber trim, starting at the middle bottom. Leave at least a foot of tail hanging out so you can pull on it later. I went all the way around and crossed it over the first tail and taped them both to the inside of the glass. (Plenty of videos on YouTube for this)
  8. Then I had a bucket of really soapy water and brushed the soapy water all along the gasket where I inserted the rope. Also applied to the bottom edge of the cruisers metal frame. Didn’t want to get my headliner wet, so I left it off of the sides and top.
  9. With a couple of helpers, we lifted the new windshield onto the bottoms edge of the metal (as low as can go) and lined it up as best as we could side to side.
  10. from the outside, with open hands, my helpers applied pressure while I untaped the tails of the paracord and began to pull it out along the frame. There’s kind of a happy medium between the right amount of pressure, and the ease of pulling the cord out. I went from bottom middle to bottom right. Then bottom middle to bottom left, and kept switching back and forth to try to keep it even. Once you get to the top corners, it really gets tough. It’s a really tight fit and definitely not a cinch to pull the top section of cord out, but you can really feel the windshield sucking into place.
  11. Eventually, the cords meet up in the top middle and come out. I had to really massage the top lip of the gasket from the inside before it set in nicely, but it did get seated in nice and tight.
  12. I didn’t get any OEM sealant. Instead I picked up some black 3M windsheald sealant from Pep Boys (Yikes!).
  13. After masking off the body paint and glass on the outside of the windshield gasket, I was able to stick the nozzle of the squeeze tube in between the gasket and frame of the vehicle, and gently squeeze as I kept inward pressure into the gasket and moved it around the entire outer edge. A little messy at first, but once you get the feel for it, it a piece of cake. I actually went thru two tubes doing the rubber to metal side, then rubber to glass side. No sealant needed on the inside of the truck.
  14. I gently massaged the outside of the gasket all around the glass to get the sealant to spread nice and evenly.
  15. Then came the task of getting the chrome pieces back in. Soapy water helps immensely! I used a dull butter knife to get the long pieces in. Just going 5 to 6 inches at a time. Make sure you center them all, so the corner pieces will cover the ends nicely. The pieces almost seem to “click” into place when they’re in right. I used a tiny flat head to get the corner prices in. I would recommend one of those plastic windshield tools next time.
    After it set up for a while, I pulled the masking tape and cleaned up the edges with a razor blade and a touch of goof off. (Watch the paint!)
  16. 48 hours later, just to be sure, I deluged the whole rig with a water hose. I even went full nozzle pressure all around the windshield. No leaks at all.
  17. Installed all the stuff I took off. Mirror, wipers, etc.
  18. Done! Looks great and no leaks. Glad I did it.

435BE361-FCA7-430E-86C5-9CA11F598ECD.jpeg

D6119803-9DC6-4EBC-BF74-644806DD36A3.jpeg

305002C1-7693-434A-8724-36970FC264AD.jpeg

189A8DCB-DA3B-4EE3-AD7E-75C03B7765A2.jpeg

C6D5B56C-E482-4ED3-8790-D55F40147090.jpeg

Looks great and thank's for the writeup! Definitely bookmarked. I'm curious, it sounds like the windshield you replaced was already cracked, but do you think it would be possible to remove the glass without breaking anything? Also, you'll have to let us know how it holds up when it rains in 5 months.

Looks great and thank's for the writeup! Definitely bookmarked. I'm curious, it sounds like the windshield you replaced was already cracked, but do you think it would be possible to remove the glass without breaking anything? Also, you'll have to let us know how it holds up when it rains in 5 months.
You can definitely carefully remove it without breaking the glass, IF you cut the existing rubber out and remove the lock strip first. I think saving the rubber would be hard to do. Some experienced pros can prob do it. I’ll update in the rainy season.

Why did the vendor installers refuse to do the install?
Both safe lite and all star glass didn’t even call me back for the FJ62. I inquired with both companies twice with no call back. When i inquired about my GX460, the called me back same day to make an appointment. I asked them about the 62 and they either said they can’t get the glass, or they don’t have anyone who works on vehicles that old. Neither wanted to mess with the chrome. I think they just make too much money off of insurance companies doing easy late model repairs.

Yeah... they likely prefer insurance jobs. I had a couple windshields replaced, by one of the shops near downtown L.A., but not on my 89 LC. They do quite a few older model cars. Next time I drive by one of those shops... I’ll ask about An install on a LC And pass the information as fyi... thanks and good Job!

Yeah... they likely prefer insurance jobs. I had a couple windshields replaced, by one of the shops near downtown L.A., but not on my 89 LC. They do quite a few older model cars. Next time I drive by one of those shops... I’ll ask about An install on a LC And pass the information as fyi... thanks and good Job!
That sounds great!

Both safe lite and all star glass didn’t even call me back for the FJ62. I inquired with both companies twice with no call back. When i inquired about my GX460, the called me back same day to make an appointment. I asked them about the 62 and they either said they can’t get the glass, or they don’t have anyone who works on vehicles that old. Neither wanted to mess with the chrome. I think they just make much money off of insurance companies doing easy late model repairs.
I just used safelight for an install last week. The tech spent 2hrs and gave up, came out the second day worked another two hours and broke it, claiming it was too big. The second windshield the same installer got it in about 70% and gave up. I had to call the office an pressure them. The manager came out with an assistant and finished the install. They wasted four trips out to my place. No money in it them with that install. Mostly due to their poor planning on their part for not sending the right staff.

Just an update on windshield replacements. I got one “made in China” off eBay. Maybe $400 shipped. SOR wanted $1,200. It has the tint on the upper section which is actually pretty nice. I got the OEM rubber from my local Toyota dealer in Long Beach. I also got some rubber lock strip with the installation tool off Amazon just in case. My intent was to keep the original chrome strips. I’ve never done any kind of auto glass before.
I basically followed the FSM instructions, which I found somewhere on here.

Keep In mind, I tried to find some one to do this install for me. All star, safe lite, some local shops, “Dirk”, no one would do it. So here goes nothing
  1. Removed rear view mirror and visors. Removed wipers
  2. In order to keep the original chrome lock strips in good enough shape to re-install, you have to cut the old rubber from the outside. I used a utility knife around the whole windshield. Between the chrome and the glass. The chrome pieces came out pretty easily and I kept them in order on the ground so I could put them back together in the right places.
  3. Then I could push the windshield out from the inside to my helper who removed my cracked windshield from the outside.
  4. Next, I pulled the remaining rubber from the frame edges and cleaned the metal carefully with a razor blade, putty knife, shop towels and some goof off.
  5. I had some very minor rust spots in both bottom corners. I wire brushed them and treated them with rust inhibitor.
  6. Then I set up some saw horses with bubble wrap from the new windshield packaging rolled and taped around the tops of them. I set the new windshield on top of those and applied the new rubber gasket to it. I made sure it was completely pressed on.
  7. Next, I inserted a long length of paracord into the outside groove of the rubber trim, starting at the middle bottom. Leave at least a foot of tail hanging out so you can pull on it later. I went all the way around and crossed it over the first tail and taped them both to the inside of the glass. (Plenty of videos on YouTube for this)
  8. Then I had a bucket of really soapy water and brushed the soapy water all along the gasket where I inserted the rope. Also applied to the bottom edge of the cruisers metal frame. Didn’t want to get my headliner wet, so I left it off of the sides and top.
  9. With a couple of helpers, we lifted the new windshield onto the bottoms edge of the metal (as low as can go) and lined it up as best as we could side to side.
  10. from the outside, with open hands, my helpers applied pressure while I untaped the tails of the paracord and began to pull it out along the frame. There’s kind of a happy medium between the right amount of pressure, and the ease of pulling the cord out. I went from bottom middle to bottom right. Then bottom middle to bottom left, and kept switching back and forth to try to keep it even. Once you get to the top corners, it really gets tough. It’s a really tight fit and definitely not a cinch to pull the top section of cord out, but you can really feel the windshield sucking into place.
  11. Eventually, the cords meet up in the top middle and come out. I had to really massage the top lip of the gasket from the inside before it set in nicely, but it did get seated in nice and tight.
  12. I didn’t get any OEM sealant. Instead I picked up some black 3M windsheald sealant from Pep Boys (Yikes!).
  13. After masking off the body paint and glass on the outside of the windshield gasket, I was able to stick the nozzle of the squeeze tube in between the gasket and frame of the vehicle, and gently squeeze as I kept inward pressure into the gasket and moved it around the entire outer edge. A little messy at first, but once you get the feel for it, it a piece of cake. I actually went thru two tubes doing the rubber to metal side, then rubber to glass side. No sealant needed on the inside of the truck.
  14. I gently massaged the outside of the gasket all around the glass to get the sealant to spread nice and evenly.
  15. Then came the task of getting the chrome pieces back in. Soapy water helps immensely! I used a dull butter knife to get the long pieces in. Just going 5 to 6 inches at a time. Make sure you center them all, so the corner pieces will cover the ends nicely. The pieces almost seem to “click” into place when they’re in right. I used a tiny flat head to get the corner prices in. I would recommend one of those plastic windshield tools next time.
    After it set up for a while, I pulled the masking tape and cleaned up the edges with a razor blade and a touch of goof off. (Watch the paint!)
  16. 48 hours later, just to be sure, I deluged the whole rig with a water hose. I even went full nozzle pressure all around the windshield. No leaks at all.
  17. Installed all the stuff I took off. Mirror, wipers, etc.
  18. Done! Looks great and no leaks. Glad I did it.

435BE361-FCA7-430E-86C5-9CA11F598ECD.jpeg

D6119803-9DC6-4EBC-BF74-644806DD36A3.jpeg

305002C1-7693-434A-8724-36970FC264AD.jpeg

189A8DCB-DA3B-4EE3-AD7E-75C03B7765A2.jpeg

View attachment 2425303

Wow, helluva write up and proves it is do-able. Makes me want to try mine next time, think I have a rust bubble starting.
Very good share.

The couple doing the budget build in the “Expedition Build“ Forum have a really good video on windshield removal, really straightforward.

I also had a local auto glass shop refuse to swap the glass from my partially rusted lift gate to a new used lift gate because I wanted to save the chrome. They said they could do it if I didn't mind going full black with a new seal.

Thanks for the write-up. Next month I will have my car painted "windows out" and want to save the all the chrome and re-use the rubber seals. I'm waiting to hear from the glass guy, but based on your method I'd need to have all new rubber around the windows. Maybe that's a good idea regardless? Is there anyone out there that did a full window-out paint job and re-used their rubber and chrome?.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom