FJ62 Wheel Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:dunno:How do I know when to replace my wheel bearings or repack them? Ive had my cruiser for 1 yr with 221,000 on it. Not real sure what the previous owner had done to it. Are there any symptoms, noises, etc.

KnoxFJ62,
There is a wrie up in the technical section on rebuilding the axle. It includes the wheel bearings. If I were you I would rebuild the whole thing if I opened it up. I priced the bearings through a local shop. All Timkin (same bearing supplier as OEM) bearings for the wheel bearings and knuckle bearings were about $80. I would suggest you get the seal kit from Toyota as several folks have told me that the Napa seal kits are not really as nice.

Here is the write up on the job:
http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/index.html

Greg

You will usually have some noise and some good heat in the hub body. You may also have some uneven tire wear that an alignment won't cure. If it were me, I go ahead and overhaul the entire front axle just to say it was done. Peace of mind is nice. Good luck!!

PS. Check out http://www.heartoftexasoffroad.com/ for a nice kit at a really good price.

KnoxFJ62,
There is a wrie up in the technical section on rebuilding the axle.  It includes the wheel bearings.  If I were you I would rebuild the whole thing if I opened it up.  I priced the bearings through a local shop.  All Timkin (same bearing supplier as OEM) bearings for the wheel bearings and knuckle bearings were about $80.  I would suggest you get the seal kit from Toyota as several folks have told me that the Napa seal kits are not really as nice.  

Here is the write up on the job:
http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/index.html

Greg

Greg, Timkin is not the OEM suplier of bearings, Koyo is, yes Toyota lists both Timkin and Koyo but Koyo is what your Cruiser came with when new. The Koyo's from the dealer are more than the Timkin, this is why I believe Toyota sells both. I have no issue with Timkin, but try to find Koyo's when I can.

Dang I'm starting to sound like OEM Paul ;)

When ever I get a Cruiser, especialy one that I know nothing about the history of, I tear into the front end to see how things look, often I end up rebuilding the whole thing, but I always at least repack(or replace) the bearings even if they look OK...

John

Greg, Timkin is not the OEM suplier of bearings, Koyo is, yes Toyota lists both Timkin and Koyo but Koyo is what your Cruiser came with when new.

>trim

Dang I'm starting to sound like OEM Paul ;)

>trim

John

Well, crap. I make a stab at answering a technical one and miss it. I'll take a 9 out of 10 on the answer, though since I was pretty close. Also gave the same advice as you and Design, just rebuild it. So, do you know if Koyo is available from other sources than the Dealer. I asked for Koyo or Timkin when I priced mine and he gave me Timkin prices. Also had some by Bower.

Greg

alot of the Cruiser retailers sell the Koyo's. Also the CR(Chicago Rawhide) brand of bearings are very often a Koyo bearing in a CR box. FWIW, I got rear semi floater bearings a while ago, they were CR and inside was a Koyo, price at dealer for the same bearing $50+, cost of CR was $less than $20..same exact bearing. Same deal on the front wheel bearings, forget the price but they were really cheap. I prefer OEM seals to aftermarket, I have yet to find a OEM seal in an aftermarket brand box.

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom