FJ62 Weird Starting Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody, I tried looking through multiple starting problem threads but didn't see my scenario so I figured I'd ask. My cruiser has never had an issue starting or going dead or anything. Fired up perfectly fine this morning like it always does and park it. The day goes by and when I get in to leave it won't start. I turn the key and it cranked for a split second and then stopped. The cab went dead with no power as well. Jumps fine but then about a mile down the road it dies. Cab is dead again. While I'm waiting for the tow truck I try it again and it started for a split second but died almost instantly. From my limited experience this doesn't seem like a starter issue but what do I know? Any advice on the best place to start? Thanks in advance for any help.

Check the connections to the battery . Clean the posts and terminals .

Reactions: OSS
You may have internal corrosion on the cables; check from the battery to the starter.

Reactions: OSS
Yep - my guess too is battery cables not making good connection on the battery post. They may be on there firm, but likely there’s a film of insulating corrosion between the battery post and the cable clamp.

As the battery charges (a normal wet cell battery) it causes the acid electrolyte to bubble and make an acid mist inside the battery as all the tiny hydrogen bubbles pop. Eventually the breather cap gets saturated in acid and as hydrogen/acid vapor eeks out, it takes some wet acid mist with it.
The acid eventually coats everything nearby accelerating corrosion by 50X. The battery cables are right there getting an acid mist sauna.

Last edited:
So I just cleaned the posts and cables and it started right up! It seems like it's idling at lower RPM's now but everything seemed fine on the little spin I took right after so I'm content for now. Thanks so much everyone for your advice!

Check the fusible link connected to the battery. Had that go out on mine.
What he said.
While it may be running now, if you have corrosion on your fusible link it will come back.
When mine started going out, everything in the cab (sash etc) would turn off but the engine still ran.
Disconcerting but an easy fix.

I haven’t researched that too much but I have read about some members having them recuilt.
My corrosion was right by the battery and could be fixed DIY
1635386467655.jpeg

I haven’t researched that too much but I have read about some members having them recuilt.
My corrosion was right by the battery and could be fixed DIY
View attachment 2823217

I bought a Blue Sea fuse box with blue sea fuses...
One large wire coming from the battery to the box and from there clean connections.
The alternator I do run straight to the battery as well as some Redarc dcdc stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom