FJ62 Water Temperature Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've been browsing the wealth of knowledge on this site for the past few months, and finally took the plunge and bought my first Cruiser a few weeks ago, an '88 FJ62 in pretty nice condition. Wish I had some pics to share along with my first post, but none on this computer unfortunately.

I noticed that the truck was really difficult to start when cold. It cranks fine but takes up to 10s before it catches. Once it does catch it's pretty sensitive - too much gas and it'll stall. I started going through the FSM checklist and noticed that the water temperature sensor is actually sheared off on the thermostat housing. The connector leading to the ECU is intact, just the sensor is gone.

SOR carries sensors for Aug 87-Aug 88 FJ62s, and then another sensor for Aug 88 on. CDan confirmed the two parts, but couldn't tell me the difference between the two. I'm wondering if there's a significant difference and if I really need to go OEM on a temp sensor. Any harm in going with aftermarket on this one?

This is also my first real experience maintaining my own truck (beyond brake pads and oil changes), so it's bound to be a learning experience. I'll definitely be back picking your brains. Thanks in advance!

Cool, thanks for the tip on NTC and the threading. I'm actually referring to the sensor rather than the sender See part #182-65 vs #182-12 on the SOR pic: Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 182 Land Cruiser Switches, Relays, Sensors & Flashers

3F-Thermostat-housing.jpg

Hopefully the same is true about aftermarket sensors as they are ~$20 as opposed to $60 OEM.

The ECU and the temp gauge have independent sensors. I don't know if they're the "same" or not. I would think that if they were the same that they would share a common part number. What part numbers did Dan give you?

From my fiche here's what I found.

8708 - 9001 Gauge Assy, Water Temp Sensor p/n 83420-20020

8708 - 8808 Sensor, Water Temp (EFI) p/n 98422-30020
8809 - 9001 Sensor, Water Temp (EFI) p/n 98422-20010

Are you sure that the temp sensor you're describing is the one for the EFI? I can check the wire colors when I get home and can grab my FSM.

Personally, I'd want an OEM sensor for the EFI application and an aftermarket for the gauge - but that's just me

Hmm. I have an 88 as well. Is there a way to figure out the production date? Maybe from the VIN or something?

8708 - 8808 Sensor, Water Temp (EFI) p/n 98422-30020
8809 - 9001 Sensor, Water Temp (EFI) p/n 98422-20010

Appreciated all the discussion on this thread. FYI I just went through this and the parts listed above were close. These are the Toyota parts #'s per the dealer.

'88 FJ62 is 89422-20010
'89 FJ62 is 89422-12010

Pics of the different connectors:

(89422-20010):

89422-20010.jpg

(89422-12010)

89422-12010.jpg

Last edited:
This may solve an issue I'm having withthe 2fe, if someone could tell me the difference between the sender and sensor, and which goes to what? Mud is awesome

^^^yes. and TY

Your hard-starting issue may also relate to a clogged cold start injector, if the problem persists after you replace this sending unit. There are other threads on that topic, however.

I would use the OEM Toyota part.

Be careful when removing the temp sensor out the Aluminum t'stat housing. Once it breaks free, if it's binding, don't force it - Hit it with some PB Blaster and WAIT -- Last thing you wanna do is strip the threads in the housing.

I'm sure you can safely use an aftermarket sender, but if the price is close to OE, why not use OE?

Or

88 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser Water Temperature Sender - Body Electrical - NTC, Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek

the NTC is the same as Toyota.
Anyone know what the specs are on the oem water temp sender? Or the aluminum thermostat housing? I have a SpeedHut aftermarket sender that is 1/8 NPT, and I have a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT couple. But, I tried a 3/8 BSPT to 1/4 NPT, but it seems a bit too big? It's not threading in to the thermostat housing. Is the t'stat threaded to 1/4 BSPT? I found a 1/4 BSPT to 1/4 NPT, but it's going to take awhile to arrive (from China?), and probably non-returnable, and expensive... so I'd like to make sure if possible, before I order. Thank you..
-J

The temp sender threads are 3/8" BSPP (parallel threads, not tapered)

Anyone know what the specs are on the oem water temp sender? Or the aluminum thermostat housing? I have a SpeedHut aftermarket sender that is 1/8 NPT, and I have a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT couple. But, I tried a 3/8 BSPT to 1/4 NPT, but it seems a bit too big? It's not threading in to the thermostat housing. Is the t'stat threaded to 1/4 BSPT? I found a 1/4 BSPT to 1/4 NPT, but it's going to take awhile to arrive (from China?), and probably non-returnable, and expensive... so I'd like to make sure if possible, before I order. Thank you..
-J

I Have you Covered .............

Just See My Link here , UPDATED SENSOR and Plug Service Spec. Connector too

PLUG and PLAY ..........well after you install it and all . :cool:

1623924082193.png

1623924178226.png

1623924213922.png

1623924255388.png

1623924316179.png

HECK , i offer THEM ALL , with Plugs , connectors ., and senders sensors too , Even the BVSV and OEM toyota Vacuum line hose

SEE all LINKS Below ..

1619952206113 - Copy1 - Copy11.png

035_2F_a-big11.jpg

image_5bd069f7d1b7c_The-FJ-Company-1988-FJ62-G8J0088791-Blue---Silver-Studio_thumb.jpg

Toyota-Land-Cruiser-J60-740x50211.jpg

-J
Are you still using the factory gauges or is the gauge aftermarket as well?
OEM sender is 83420-20020 , runs about $20 depending on where you get it. Takes a simple spade female connector :)

Also to your original question: Thread pitch of Temperature Sender for 2F/3F-E? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/thread-pitch-of-temperature-sender-for-2f-3f-e.966250/

is it possible to get just the wire connector without the sensor? My sensor seems ok when I checked with an meter, but seems to sometimes get a bad connection. The housing of the plug/pigtail is in pretty bad shape. I'd like to replace it.
TIA...

is it possible to get just the wire connector without the sensor? My sensor seems ok when I checked with an meter, but seems to sometimes get a bad connection. The housing of the plug/pigtail is in pretty bad shape. I'd like to replace it.
TIA...
Are you talking about the sensor for the gauge or for the ECU? Have a pic of the one you are talking about?
The one for the gauge is just a little female spade terminal. The one for the ECU is a bigger plastic connector: Toyota Lexus 2-Pin Water Coolant Temp Connector Plug Kit 90980-10735 90980-11061 - https://www.ksvlooms.com/products/toyota-lexus-2-pin-water-coolant-temp-connector-plug-kit-90980-10735-90980-11061
That one is for the late 88+ water temp sensors for the ECU. Early 88 had a different style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom