FJ62 Water pump help, FSM at home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So today I was on my way to work when I started to smell rubber, then saw the temperature gauge climb, then CRACK! and just about every light on my dash went on. I pulled over into (an all too handy) auto parts store parking lot, and promptly called my boss and told him that I was going to be fixing my car today.

Turns out its a bad water pump, frozen solid except for a lot of side-to-side play. Now I have everything stripped down to get the old pump off, and for some reason a belt tensioner bracket is placed in my path between the lower radiator hose outlet and the radiator itself. So I am stuck trying to figure out how to remove, and have just about removed everything else along the way to no avail. Whats the trick to getting around the tensioner? Any help would be great, its an 88 FJ62 and my brand new FSM is at home.

It's been a couple years since I replaced this on mine. I don't recall removing the tensioner, so don't believe it's necessary. It's a PITA as space is tight in there, but if you move the thing around and find the right angle it should come out. Good luck.

When I did mine I removed the fan,clutch and hoses it was not to bad. Esp replace the short hose behind the pump,you cant do it without removing the pump. MIke

Probably too late now, but I always pull the radiator. Takes just a few minutes, and well worth it.

are you talking about the tensioner for the A/C belt down at the bottom.... I don't think its even worth using... The one with the idler that places tension from the botton on the A/C belt.

fj62 water pump

I feel you pain. I just finished putting mine back together.
I would back out the studs that hold the water pump in place. This will make it easier to pull the water pump out. That hose your talking about is a pain for sure. I think i cut the clap when i took it out. But you might be better off removing the other end of the hose and take the water pump out with the hose still on it. Buy the oem gasket for sure. I would aslo buy a oem water pump if you can. It's not a job you want to do again.
Good luck. Cdan is the man when it comes to a good price on a water pump.

is that hose behind the water pump a dealer item or is it just a peice of heater hose? i have to do a water pump on my 3fe next week and need to know if this is something i will need to order or can get from any auto parts store.

Seems like it was straight hose,and very short. Mike

From the dates of the posts, I'd guess you are long done with this project.

The tensioner you asked about is down low; you have to access it lying on your back under the truck.

And the short hose that is being discussed is a major PITA. Definitely replace it now.

My water pump project took me about 12 hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom