FJ62 Water Pump Failure (Was: FJ62 Bad crank pulley / harmonic balancer?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't really think of anything that would create metal shards in that area behind the pulley like that. What the FSM calls the 'pulley seat' is the little flange that the pulley studs fit into. Basic diagram of how the WP/Fan Clutch attach:

054g2.gif

Untitled.png

FSM actually has a procedure to repair the WP using Toyota SSTs. Seems this pulley seat is pressed on the WP shaft:

Untitled2.png

Perhaps the pulley seat has become loose and unseated after years of use and is periodically spinning free of the WP shaft making that tinney noise and wearing metal off the shaft it sits on in the process. At any rate, as others have said, seems like a WP replacement might be in your future. You could prolly remove the fan/fan clutch and pulley off the WP shaft to get a better look. You'll have to do that anyway to replace the WP.

As @LAMBCRUSHER says, you would want to check the fan clutch in the process and if it were my truck I would replace the WP and the clutch together, but not required I don't think. I would also get a Toyota gasket instead of the one that comes in the WP box. I also sourced new WP mounting bolts as the old ones can get brittle with heat/cooling cycles. My old ones were probably fine, but got new ones anyway. Replacing the WP is a good opportunity to replace those old hoses in there if they have not been done.

I got a new AISIN WP and fan clutch from Amazon for my '84 this past September on the advice of @beno. Same parts as the ones in the Toyota box, but minus the Toyota box price. Without knowing the year of your vehicle possible P/N's are as follows:

WP - AISIN P/N WPT-029. You can see it here on Amazon.
Fan Clutch - AISIN P/N FCT-017. You can see it here on Amazon.

You'd have to doublecheck the P/N's for your year though. I don't see where you ever specified the year of your Cruiser so I made a guess on the correct numbers. Point is you can source the correct WP and fan clutch through Amazon and save some cash without taking a hit on quality. I am not sure on the current OEM Toyota WP P/N though I have seen numbers like the following:

1611061081, 161106108177, 161106108184.

Again, check the P/N's on Amazon if going that route for your particular truck. Maybe @beno can confirm the Toyota WP P/N for your year as well as help you source one if that's the route you would want to take. He can get you all the hoses and misc. bolts and clamps if you wanted to go all out. HTH

Thanks for the exceptionally detailed reply, @Robert Franzke!

My best guess is that the water pump bearing self-destructed (figure 1 from the second illustration) and it looks like the scrap of metal I found has a seam that could possibly correspond to the outer housing of the bearing. I'm busy all this weekend and won't know for sure until I tear into the old WP.

I already placed an order for a new WP, pulley, and gasket on the way from toyotapartsdeal.com, but it's nice to know that you can occasionally find better deals from Amazon. I'll definitely be getting a new fan clutch from there if it looks like the current one is in rough shape.

The WP bearing would make sense in that area. Just surprised you don't see any leaks from the pump. I guess the bearing can shred itself and the seal still remain water tight? Says a lot about the stout nature of these OEM parts.

I should have mentioned I did not compare prices between Toyota OEM from places like Toyota Parts Deal and Amazon so for all I know Toyota Parts Deal was as good as Amazon on price. At the time I went with Amazon because I had some CC points which allowed me to basically get the parts from Amazon for free. But have it on good authority that buying Aisin instead of Toyota is cheaper. Just never compared if that's true for some of the OEM parts house options available these days.

Anyway curious to hear about what you find when you take things apart. GL.

Finally got some time to remove the old water pump from my rig and can confirm it was the culprit:

I ended up cancelling my order with TPD and went with the Aisin parts from Amazon. The shipping time just would have taken too long. I also purchased a new fan clutch which makes sense to replace as long as I'm in there.

Next step is to cut my fan shroud in half and put everything back together!

Finally got some time to remove the old water pump from my rig and can confirm it was the culprit:

I ended up cancelling my order with TPD and went with the Aisin parts from Amazon. The shipping time just would have taken too long. I also purchased a new fan clutch which makes sense to replace as long as I'm in there.

Next step is to cut my fan shroud in half and put everything back together!

Next time call your local dealer and see if they’ll match the price from TPD. That’s how I do much of my parts shopping now.

Next time call your local dealer and see if they’ll match the price from TPD. That’s how I do much of my parts shopping now.

And don't let your dealer tell you that "they wouldn't have parts for a vehicle that old" like mine initially did. I directed the guy on the phone that many LandCruiser parts are indeed still available, and after a fairly heated argument on the subject, taught him something that day he clearly didn't know. Then I found a new dealer. :)

Glad you sorted the issue out. GL with the reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom