FJ62 vs. FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to establish the differences between these two (yes, I know the bodystyle). Aren't their drivetrains the same? And I am talking about FJ80s - 91 and 92. I ask because I've been looking at 62s (and 60s), but the prices for FJ80's are often less for vehicles in similar condition with lower miles...

Now I know that I'm going to hear that 60-series are way cooler, but can somebody help me out with the actual mechanical differences?

The main difference is in the suspension, and it's a BIG difference. A stock FJ80 will blow a stock FJ62 out of the water on the trails, and they're much cheaper to upgrade the suspension. Front axle is also different, it's an 8" axle with bigger birfields in the FJ80, vs. a 9.5" axle with smaller birfields in the FJ62.

djawahir said:
Bigger engine in the FJ80. FJ60's are becoming more and more rare. Exclusivity has a price...

I think the FJ80 ('91-'92) has the same engine as the FJ62. The FZJ80 ('93-'97) is the bigger engine. The 80 has the nod when it comes to suspension and more modern inside. It also weighs more and the 3FE isn't a great match for it if you need to pull hills on the hwy.

Same engine in the FJ80 as the FJ62, the 2F in the FJ60 has a longer stroke, but smaller bore.

I'd say go with a 60/62, throw in an H55f, and have the nostalga of the older Cruiser, then a few years down the road, add an 80 to the stable.

I myself wish I had gotten the FJ60 instead of another FJ80, but...I reckon I'll just have to reap what I have sewn by way of wallet a few years down the road when I buy up a 60.

80s have all wheel drive, weigh more, same engine, similar trans, less gasmilage, way better suspension, not as cool body style, more than likley less rust, a nicer feel inside, seats 7,bigger birfs as said,drive flanges,alloy wheels, high pinion front 3rd,pink panties, get a 91-92 pop the body off and drop a 60s body in its place. Lift, cage, gear it, throw in a 5-speed and rock box and blow everyone off the trail.

haha, what he said, but not in any particular order.

lowtideride said:
80s have all wheel drive, weigh more, same engine, similar trans, less gasmilage, way better suspension, not as cool body style, more than likley less rust, a nicer feel inside, seats 7,bigger birfs as said,drive flanges,alloy wheels, high pinion front 3rd,pink panties, get a 91-92 pop the body off and drop a 60s body in its place. Lift, cage, gear it, throw in a 5-speed and rock box and blow everyone off the trail.

CaliCruiser said:
haha, what he said, but not in any particular order.
Where would you put the pink panties?????

:flipoff2:

I've owned a 60 and an 80 for years and am trying to buy the FJ62 in my neighborhood for my son. With that said, the 80 is a much, much better truck. Just the suspension alone puts it miles above any FJ62. Add to that AWD with true 4WD and you have a killer combo. Others have mentioned that lifting is cheaper-Parts alone it's roughly $750(80) vs $1400(62). Fuel mileage is terrible in all gasoline Land Cruisers. Don't let that make your decision.

Regarding "cool factor", the 80s are gaining this every year, and will soon almost catch the 60/62. The pink panties first became an option with the 1996 LX and were not available in a Land Cruiser until 1998.

I think it might be fun to buy an FJ80/3F-E, swap in an H55/toybox/split case and build a killer trail rig around that drive train. Hmmmm.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom