FJ62 Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A local guy has a 1989 FJ62 157 K miles with a great body ( zero rust) for sale cheap. The transmission does not shift into 2nd smoothly and it does not kickdown to a lower gear. Could this be something so simple as needing a flush and filter cleaning? I would hate to buy it and get involved in rebuilding a tranny or looking for a good used on. Need advise please. Also the front end is completely loose and the steering wheel has about 6 inches of play. But thats no real big deal. Thanks, Ed

Define cheap. Zero rust is worth more than a bad transmission. And maybe those problems will go away with a Rodney flush and a filter screen cleaning, or maybe not. If you can pick it up cheaply enough (like less than $2K, then it would be a pretty good deal even if you wind up spending 2 or 3 thousand more on a new tranny.

And 6 inches of steering wheel movement (if that is what you meant) is way out of spec. The Factory Service Manual says 1.57 inches or less. So that will definitely need to be fixed before it is driven. That is a safety issue. Have the seller take it to a Toyota dealer for a quote, and then use that as bargaining power.

Spare trany's are easy to come by if you're not rushed for time. A lot of guys swap out good ones for manual H55's. I got one used for $270. A typical one will go for $400. I have a spare in L.A.

Where are you located?

Transmission

Buy cheap I mean $2500 with a new OK paint job included done by the owner. I am in CT. The truck is from CA. He was asking $3500 but lowered the price to $2500 after the test drive.

I saw the truck before he started on the paint job and no rust or bondo anywhere. Frame is 100%

I paid $800 for my 62, and all that was wrong with it was the 4x4 vacuum on the t-case.... And small bit o rust on the RR 1/4 panel. I think people want too much for their junk sometimes

There's always that guy that mocks you with his unrealistic, low-ball score. A typical rig in that condition is just not gonna run $800, and maybe our hero doesn't want to wait possibly years for a deal like that.
In CO, truly rust-free is not a commodity. However in the northeast, it's something to salivate over. Quality body work is very expensive, yet a guy could swap in a good used trans for roughly $500. If the only main problem is a trans, then it's worth considering.

Sounds like the issue my tranny was having.
Check and see if the kickdown cable is going all the way back in the housing and not sticking. Mine wasnt returning all the way back in and wouldnt shift or kickdown at the right intervals
Solution:Remove end of cable, lube with atf from a syringe, move cable back and forth till housing fills with atf. Now the cable returns as it should and it shifts normally
My.02

Thanks for the replies. Always best to do the easy stuff first

Spare trany's are easy to come by if you're not rushed for time. A lot of guys swap out good ones for manual H55's. I got one used for $270. A typical one will go for $400. I have a spare in L.A.

Where are you located?

I've got a good Auto A440 out of my 89 FJ62 that I can sell you...

Send me a PM if you are interested...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom