FJ62 Transmission slips in reverse when cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1988 FJ62 with about 60k on a rebuilt factory transmission. When I first start it in the morning, regardless of the ambient temperature, I will put in reverse and the transmission will engage normally and they disengage after backing up 5 or 10 feet. It will then reengage and maybe do this a second time, or not. Once the transmission is warm, it works fine. Fluid level is fine. Any ideas? Is this the beginning of something bad or an easy adjustment? Thanks!

Not sure if temperature has anything to do with it, as I'm in SoCal but my 89 just stopped going into reverse this morning on a rare rainy day. Just out of the blue no reverse and I'm begin told that my tranny is out.

You both need to have your transmissions rebuilt. I would just put a H55F in!!

I dont have a solution, but mine does the same thing after I had it rebuilt. It will slip, then after I rev it, kick in hard, often hard enough to chip the tires. I have about 80k now since the rebuild and it seems to have gotten better over time, and I rarely notice the slip these days.

Had the same symptoms on my 100 series with the A442 when it was run without an oil cooler and overheated.
Had a used A442 put in and fixed the oil cooler problem.

Interesting that Toyota used a different auto in the middle east spec 100s. In the US it was A343F for '98-'02 and A750F for '03-'07.

I have a 1988 FJ62 with about 60k on a rebuilt factory transmission. When I first start it in the morning, regardless of the ambient temperature, I will put in reverse and the transmission will engage normally and they disengage after backing up 5 or 10 feet. It will then reengage and maybe do this a second time, or not. Once the transmission is warm, it works fine. Fluid level is fine. Any ideas? Is this the beginning of something bad or an easy adjustment? Thanks!

Has it been doing that for 60K miles, or is this something that recently developed?

I've read that low fluid can cause this intermittently. Mine registers on the 'cold' line of the dipstick when the engine is warm so I think it's at least a little low. Can I pour transmission fluid directly into the dipstick tube? I'm assuming so but wanna be sure.

Can I pour transmission fluid directly into the dipstick tube? I'm assuming so but wanna be sure.

Yes, that's the normal top up location. I think its best to have it running.

I've had the same issue this winter and figured (hoped) the cold temp and maybe low tranny fluid was the cause. I had the rig serviced yesterday and fluid levels checked out ok. She slipped again today in reverse. Mine has 180k and everything is original. She and runs great otherwise. Think the tranny is going? On another note, I've switched to premium fuel and synthetic oil to give her every chance at another 200k. Any other recommendations or preventive maintenance tips?

This issue just developed recently, in the last 5k miles or so. Fluid levels are fine. Thought it might be a screen or filter issue if there is one???

Old tired transmissions sometimes have low pressures when cold, and my '62 on occasion seems a little sloppy in reverse (RPMs are a bit high before the truck moves) when first started cold.

I let the engine warm up about 2 minutes (no more than that), and it engages more readily and firmly. I think I'm a long way off from needing a transmission rebuild, as many automatics can behave this way for years without showing any other signs of demise. When it dies in a dramatic fashion, I'll worry more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom