FJ62 transmission slipping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My tranny has been slipping for a couple of weeks. I can only get up to about 25-30 in drive and will have to down shift to 2nd to get it to keep going. Sometimes 3rd will work but most of the time I have to go down to 2nd. Once I hit around 40 mph I can shift back into drive and it will be able to keep going unless I go up a hill and end up slowing down. I did a full Rodney flush today and also tried the party trick with no better results than before. Any suggestions?

I have heard, but not tried, adding brake fluid might help. I have a sacrificial camry i've been meaning to try this out on. If you want, i'll throw some in and let you know if it makes any difference. The tranny is junk so it won't hurt me any.

I haven't heard of that. Let me know if it makes a difference.

So have you done all the obvious stuff:

1) Check fluid level.
2) clean screen/filter in pan.
3) tighten kickdown cable

So have you done all the obvious stuff:

1) Check fluid level.
2) clean screen/filter in pan.
3) tighten kickdown cable

I have not adjusted the kick down cable. Where is it and how do I adjust it

You must search "Daniel son".

im an idiot and legit searched "daniel son" til i realized it was from the best 80's movie of all time.... doh!!

That's hilarious. I adjusted the kick down cable and got my atf level more accurate and that seemed to help. I still have some slippage between 25-40 mph if I have to stomp on the gas. If I baby the gas pedal it seems to act as it should. Any other suggestions?

... Any other suggestions?

Start saving some cash, and weigh the pros/cons of swapping in an H55F manual transmission.

I think these transmissions will run "forever" as compared to normal auto transmissions (esp. Nissan Xterras...), but depending on mileage and preventative maintenance they all eventually crap out. From what I can tell it's arguably THE most expensive thing to fix because even if you do it yourself a new A440F (your transmission) is around $3500.

So when you say "slipping", what does that mean? For example, an a440f trans. only has lockup in 4th gear above 50mph, so the rest of the time the torque converter is not locked. So how high does your rpm's go when it slips?

So when you say "slipping", what does that mean? For example, an a440f trans. only has lockup in 4th gear above 50mph, so the rest of the time the torque converter is not locked. So how high does your rpm's go when it slips?
It basically feels like it's in neutral when it slips. I'm not sure how high it would rev if I left my foot on the gas while its slipping. I've seen it hit up around 4000.

For the most part. It's still got a hesitation every now and then around 40 mph where it seems like it's not shifting like it should but it doesn't do it all the time

Any updates as of now?

My FJ62 slips between 2 and 3rd gear. If I baby the throttle right before the shift it works fine. I have already replaced the filter and checked level also (still happens). Does anyone have any info on adjustment of the kickdown cable? Is there any other auto trans that we can swap out with?

BTW, new here and just picked up a 1988 FJ62 with 145K on the clock.

Specs for the Kick down Cable adjustments are located in the Factory Service Manual (FSM). Use the search feature and you can download a copy of the FSM for free here on Mud, if you don't already have the manual. Also research "Rodney Flush" and "The Party Trick".

Hey, just to follow up, I am running red line 'High temp ATF' which is thicker than other dexron atf's, and my a440f has shifted better since I started running it, especially when it's at running temperature in the hot desert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom