FJ62 Transfer Case Not Engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

My FJ62's 4WD worked just fine the other day. However, this morning I went out for a drive in the snow and the Transfer Case would not engage. When I pushed the button on the dash the light illuminated but I did not hear the Transfer egage. It was about 20 degrees F. last night and was wondering if the temperature has some thing to do with it?? I would think that wouldnt.

My question is what should I do to get the 4WD to engage?

Please help as it is getting cold and I need the 4WD to work.

Josh

The 4wd indicator light in the dash is controlled by a switch on the t-case. The switch activates when the shift collar and shaft move into the 4wd position. When I shift mine I often don't hear it. Did you try driving it to make sure it hadn't actually engaged?

I sure did. No 4WD. I doo hear the relay clicking behid the dash when I push the button.

Any other ideas??

Are you sure both front hubs were locked in. Do you have warn hubs? I seem to recall having a warn hub the would stick. You could turn it to the locked in position but the collar inside wouldn't move. There is a spring inside the hub that pushes on the collar to engage it. Turning the hub to the lock position compresses the spring and if the splines all line up the collar will slide into the engaged position. If there is water or thick grease in there the cold weather could keep the collar from sliding. If just one doesn't engage the whole front end won't work...unless you have a locker.

That make sense. I will put a LITTLE heat on the hubs and see what happens.

THX Man. I will let you know how it works out.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

FYI... When it is Cold outside hit the hubs with your wife's hair dryer or take one with you on the trail in case your hubs stuck in the free position. Thanks Vortec62 for the possible problem.

Josh

Holy Crap! I got something right! :eek: Sweet...I love trouble shooting when I actually get to shoot the trouble. :cheers:

This has been a great day! I helped a fellow cruiser head. I surfed the internet for 8 hours at work with out the boss catching me, and on the way home I yanked a toyota pickup out of a snowy ditch on the side of the freeway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom