FJ62 transfer case endplay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know what the endplay on the split transfer case output shaft should be? It has the two opposing tapered bearings with their associated races. I rebuilt the tranfer case with all new parts from Spector including all new bearings and races on the output shaft along with the gears that were visibly worn (240k on it). I put the original shims back in their places behind the races as well and I measured 13/1000 (.33mm) endplay when it is bolted together which is a lot. The toyota dealership in Portland sent me a fax suggesting I get .15mm to .30mm gap between each repective bearing and the high and low gears. They don't put shims between the bearings and gears or anything (and I asked because if you don't put shims in, friction alone holds the bearings at that tolerance.) That's it. Then simply bolt the transfer case together.

Anybody dealt with this issue already???

-Carlos the Jackel

If you are talking about the transfer case raer output, there is no endplay per se. You measure preload on the bearing when it is assembled. You use a fish scale on the output flange. Off the top of my head without checking the spec I guess it to be 6-12 pounds or so. You really need to consult a FSM.

Don

To shim or not to shim...

Thanks,
So the preload keeps the bearings in place and shims aren't necessary between the hi/low gears and the tapered bearings at all to keep them from moving?

I found using a beam type inch pound torque wrence was the easiest way to measure the pre-load. You could also need a set of shims because you don;t know which one you need so you keep trying until the reading is within a certain range. The FSM outlines the procedure.

cholznag said:
Thanks,
So the preload keeps the bearings in place and shims aren't necessary between the hi/low gears and the tapered bearings at all to keep them from moving?

The adjustment shims go under the bearing race before the race is pressed into the rear bearing retainer. You will need various shims to get the proper preload.

Thanks for the input. So if I understand you guys correctly, the only place that shims go is behind the rear race and not in-between the hi/low gears and their respective radial thrust bearings. After I set the tolerance between the hi/low gear at .15mm to .33mm and these two bearings at .15mm to .33mm I put the transfer case on the tranny and check the output shaft with a torque wrench for a preload of 6-12 lbs or whatever the spec says. One problem is I don't have that FSM book.

Carlos the Jackal

cholznag said:
So if I understand you guys correctly, the only place that shims go is behind the rear race and not in-between the hi/low gears and their respective radial thrust bearings. After I set the tolerance between the hi/low gear at .15mm to .33mm and these two bearings at .15mm to .33mm I put the transfer case on the tranny and check the output shaft with a torque wrench for a preload of 6-12 lbs or whatever the spec says. One problem is I don't have that FSM book.

Carlos the Jackal

Correct, no shims go between the gears and bearings, only under the race. But you shouldn't need to "set the tolerances" between the gears and bearings, either. Just press them all onto the shaft, install, and measure preload. If it's not tight enough, take off the retainer and add a thicker shim. Repeat until you get the correct preload. Toyota sells a whole range of the shims in one package with one part number, I believe. You'll end up with a bunch of extras but at least you can be sure you'll have the right ones next time you dig into the job. John Hocker should know the part number...

Also, the correct preload is measured in in.-lbs, not ft-lbs, so you need either an itty bitty torque wrench or a fish scale. And do yourself a favor and splurge on the factory service manual. It helps.

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom