FJ62 trans to an f motor??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone out there know if an A44OF or A44OL auto tranny out of a 62 or 80 series will bolt up to an F engine? I would like to put the FJ62/80 trans and t-case in my 72 FJ40. I'm thinking if I swap bellhousings, flexplate, etc. it might work. I have not found any threads on this subject anywhere. Would it just be easier to transplant the 3fe motor along with it? I would like to stay with toyota parts, so anything chevy is out of the question. Also, what would be the length difference in the trans? BTW, My names Tim. New to the board.
72 FJ40 (traded a shotgun fo it) Having to replace Entire floorboard, and rear Quarters, almost done. 88,000 miles on odometer.
PLEASE HELP, this is driving me nutz.

I believe that it should work. I know it will hook up the 2F (same bell housing).

Good Q. Welcome to the asylum!!

I believe it should work since you can go the other way (auto to manual)..........if you don't get an answer here, you should be able to find out in the 60/62 section.

Have you checked the length, I recall it being pretty darn long, you'll be in the crossmember at least, and you'll have to fab rear mount as you'll be losing your rear motor mounts. Best thing to do is find a 62 for sale and crawl under it with a tape measure. ;)

I once traded a shotgun (and four Armstrong Norsemans) for a '72 FJ40. :cheers:

length will probably be an issue

stretch the Wb a bit, and use the 3FE motor while you are at it.

Fuel injection will be neat ;)

You will also have to create some crossmembers. while you are at it.

I have this whole set up for my fj45. Haven't done it yet. I picked up the crossmember with the skidplate out of a fj62. you'll have to figure out throttle linkage as well as a transmission cooler.

John

BTW, stick the 60/80 axles under the rig too.

sweet, thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully I can do some trading for the parts I need. I was going to flip the rear springs for extra WB and since I am putting in all new sheetmetal, I was going to just move the wheelwell back to match for a semi factory look. If I get the drivetrain in I'll post pics and maybe a tech article. :bounce:

You might have a problem bolting up the flexplate. I recall hearing the 3fe has larger bolts holding it on. Not a total no-can-do, but perhaps a bit of a snag.

The 3FE has 2 versions, each with a different size crank pilot hole (35mm for the earlier ones and 45mm for the later ones, I think). Make sure you get the correct flex plate for your engine.

Don't know about the bolt pattern.

I think there is an article in the latest issue of Trails where someone installed a 2F block in his FJ62. Might be helpful.

jcj_78FJ40 said:
The 3FE has 2 versions, each with a different size crank pilot hole (35mm for the earlier ones and 45mm for the later ones, I think). Make sure you get the correct flex plate for your engine.

Don't know about the bolt pattern.

I have a 2F flywheel bolted up to an '88 3FE, bolt pattern between the flywheel and the flexplate from the 3FE are identical. Therefore the flexplate from the 3FE should bolt to the F's crank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom