FJ62 trans and engine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased my first LC, a '88 FJ62 with 101K???. After driving it for a week or so I noticed a couple things.

1. 2-3 shift revs, more noticable when cold
2. Tapping sound from engine.

I do not remember either of these at time of sell. I broke the cardinal rule of not doing a compression check prior to purchase. Thanks to the threads in this forum I have started the following.

For the trans I am going with reptitive changes of ATF, starting with a mechanic draining pan and replacing filter. Completely black fluid spew from the pan splattering the mechanic. I got the feeling he did not want to see this truck again. So far, 21qts of ATF have been exchanged. Still slips between 2-3 every so often.

After reading the threads in this forum I got the idea this engine had overheated at some point. So I did a compression test.

Compress test results:
cyl 1 155
cyl 2 149
cyl 3 146
cyl 4 149
cyl 5 134 ouch!
cyl 6 156

The truck starts and runs ok. Does anyone know how much power I am down?

No idea about what kind of power you're down, but I thought it interesting your compression numbers are in a similar pattern to mine-

#1 - 165
#2 - 155
#3 - 160
#4 - 160
#5 - 145
#6 - 165

what's up with #5??

btw, 200k with nothing touched, regular maintenance but it's been hot a couple times since I've owned it.

I smell a fish

What's up with #5? See Woody's post in Tonkota's thread about plug fouling in #5 cylinder. Sounds relevant to me.

AZLC said:
Compress test results:
cyl 1 155
cyl 2 149
cyl 3 146
cyl 4 149
cyl 5 134 ouch!
cyl 6 156

The truck starts and runs ok. Does anyone know how much power I am down?

Is Not to bad compresion number .. remember is a Toyota Engine .. it can do .. !

All plugs look o.k, not much fouling. Thanks for the info.

Your compression is within normal limits, or at least very nearly. Your lowest number should be within 10 per cent of the average...just barely misses it. Shouldn't be your problem. the ticking noise is probably the valves needing adjustment. If you're planning on going back to the po for relief, run a carfax to verify the mileage. If your mechanic told you he "replaced" the filter, bend over and grab your ankles....62's have a cleanable metal screen. I'd adjust the valves, and I think you're on a good track with your tranny maintenance...but I'd do it myself. Couldn't be simpler, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom