FJ62 Tranny while out I should.......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing my fj62 auto tranny (Thanks Randy) and my question is while the old, I shouldn't say that since they are all old, but the damage one is out, what else should I take advantage of and replace?
And also what shall I do to the tranny that is going in?
I am looking to shop all the required replacements today and perhaps start the dismanteling tomorrow!!
Thanks

If you've been leaking oil out the back of the engine, you might want to replace the rear main bearing seal while you are in there. And probably the pan gasket. Rebuild your transfer case since you will have it out of the rig as well. That ought to keep you busy and broke.

There is also an allen head plug in the back of the block (about 10:00? O'clock from the main seal), which can leak. If there are no signs of leaking leave it untouched. If you see signs of an oil leak, it is worth pulling the plug, cleaning it and the area around it, putting some anaerobic sealant on the threads and tightening it back up.

Agree with above about main seal, pilot bearing, transfer rebuild/ McNamara gear. It's also worth using dielectric grease in all of the connections.

McNamara gear.

OK, all the smart guys drop names like McNamara gear on us rookies, so since this is the I don't know how many times I have read that, I finally decided to look it up. Pretty slick. It uses the previously unused portion of the transmission output shaft so you don't have to replace the shaft. And it is yet another smart product from our friends down under. :cool:

The McNamara gear is too expensive and out of his short time frame. He needs to get his 62 running as a dd and then he will get his 60 going for long term use.

Well, I am taking notes, but let me tell you, that engine area as well as everything else down there is loaded with grease and buildedup grease, no joke when the po told me that it leaks oil, man!! I am a rookie at this, to start with, I started at 8am, unplugged this and that, drained this and that, but I made the biggest mistake by loosing up the braket that holds the tranny (#$%%%#) so I started to freak out and put a jack under and lifted up back into place (jack is holding it), then I didn't realized it was time to pick up my son (say whattt) didn't realized I was under the hood for more than 6 hours, I asked my mother in law to assist me picking up my child, not a chance, jumped in the xd (scion) which has the replacement tranny on the back, didn't realized that the trunk was open, as I rolled down the street I hear this drop and I looked back and guess who is layin on the street, MY TRANNY!!! (@#$%^@@%#%) words can't describe what I felt, left it behind and when to pick up my child. On my way back there she was laying in there waiting for me to pick her up, I did and to find out that the round (looks like an alien ship) in front of the tranny was cracked.
I am struggeling with the 2 connections (I think they are the coolig lines) ohhh I don't have a tranny jack and I try lifting the car as high as I could, don't know if it will work.
Other than that, it is right now 4:46pm and I am done for today, will try to bring the tranny down tomorrow, is it hard to put the transfer case together with the replacement tranny?

is it hard to put the transfer case together with the replacement tranny?

I believe you could do that later, when time allows, since you're obviously in a rush to get the 62 on the road again. The McNamara gear is currently $312 shipped to you, as I just sent off for one today.

Two things are a must and one thing if you can afford it at this time.

1. replace the rear main seal. doesnt matter how bad it is replace it.

2. replace the front seal on the transmission.

3. if you can afford it at this time rebuild the t-case while you have it apart.

The Macnamara gear is not for everyone actually most cruisers dont need it.

Cam

If you were getting vibes after torque converter lock up (i.e., highway speeds), consider the torque converter a suspect. Now is the time to deal with that if vibes have been an issue for you.

The Macnamara gear is not for everyone actually most cruisers dont need it.

Cam

Most Land Cruisers don't need it, but FJ62's do need it. It is a weak point that will leave you stranded with no means to limp home. To me, it sounds like he will dependent on this wagon and he has a kid.

And how was I to know he is short on time? It only took a week to get the gear including communication and funds transfer.

Don't rush through the process, that only makes things worse.

Tonkota, thnanks for the advised, yes I need to take my time. I am actually taking the morning off, I know the tranny is almost off, shafts have been removed and there is only a few connections that need to be removed. Is it hard to remove the transfer case and put it into the replacement tranny? and that part that goes in the front of the tranny that felt off and broke the tip, can I used the one from the other tranny? what is that anyways, what does it do? it looks like an UFO sideways

This is why we suggest you should rebuild the transfer: You cannot simply disconnect the transfer from the transmission and put it on the other. You have to disassemble the transfer case completely and re-assemble it on the other transmission. It makes no sense not to assemble with new parts.

contact orangefj45 on the board, he can get you a kit at a very good price. The kits include gaskets, seals, bearings and races, and a new idler shaft. If you don't have one already, and you really plan on doing this, I HIGHLY recommend getting an FSM. It's not a difficult job, but everything must be done to spec.

Most Land Cruisers don't need it, but FJ62's do need it. It is a weak point that will leave you stranded with no means to limp home. To me, it sounds like he will dependent on this wagon and he has a kid.

I am not going to argue this point much but this is only a problem in some FJ62's . I have owned personally 3 of them and never had to replace this gear. And further more I have worked tones of them at the shop, and do t-case rebuilds on them all the time and have only seen one out of 20 that need attention. I was simply making the statement to check the condition of the splines and the gear and see dont just throw 3-4 hundred bucks at something if you do not need it.

My current 62 is about to turn 300k and it is on the original gear and shaft
My last 62 has 220k and thrashed the crap out with 38" tires and no problems
My buggy has this above trans in it now no problems
The one tha came out of my first 62 daily driver turned buggy had 200k and no problems.

My simple point not every FJ62 needs this gear. Check first before you spend you hard earned money on a new one.

Cam

I agree with the above. my cruiser has 281,000 on it and I am now just starting to hear a clank.

Mang, I don't really want to throw $200 to rebuild the transfer case!! I mean, I am only going to drive the car a few months top!!! So is it really necessary for me to rebuild the TC, or just check it out and make sure nothing is crack or damage and go from there. When I first got the car, I knew of hand that the tranny was bad, the car will drive at first and shift no problem, but then it wouldn't shift to 2nd gear, it will get stock on 1st (25mph) is that a sing that the transfer case is good?? I don't know, someone light my way, please!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom