FJ62 Tranny while out I should.......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not done wither one. Your in uncharted waters for me.

These transfer cases are pretty simple to rebuild, but it may not need more than a reseal. The seal between the tcase and transmission is particularly important. If you get it apart and look at the bearings and they look OK and the preload is good, I'd be tempted to keep running it as is.

If I had it all apart to replace the transmission, for sure I would replace the input gear with a McNamara gear. It's no extra work, and it cures permanently a known problem with this t-case. $200 or what ever it is is nothing in the scheme of Cruiser ownership-maybe 4 tanks of gas.

Drew,
He has an FJ60 and the FJ62 he is fixing. He wants to get the FJ62 running as a dd for about two months. Then he is going to part the 62 and make the 60 his primary vehicle with a few pieces from the 60. I think his main point is to spend as little cash as possible to get this running temporarily which would negate the McNamara shaft.

Do we have any rebuild threads we can point him to regarding the trany and an installation thread for the trany / tcase? I'd search right now but I'm pretty busy with work and can only jump in and out.

As everyone knows that I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, I was checking the Toyota manual and clear me on this but I can remove the tranny from the car without having to remove the trasfer case? right? if that is right then I could just do that and perhaps a seal wouldnot hurt to buy!! Any input, please

I think it's easier to drop the tcase at the same time but I'm not sure.

I was talking to a mecanic down the street from me and he told me that it will be better to take it apart while in the car? don't worry Randy I myself am in the limbo right now and don't know which way to go

As everyone knows that I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, I was checking the Toyota manual and clear me on this but I can remove the tranny from the car without having to remove the trasfer case? right? if that is right then I could just do that and perhaps a seal wouldnot hurt to buy!! Any input, please

No, crawl under there and take a look. The transfer case is bolted onto the end of the tranny and the only way to get it off (short of dropping it out of the back of a speeding vehicle :crybaby: ) is to take it apart to get to the final bolts. And if you are only driving it for a couple of months, just put it back together as long as nothing looks broken. For most folks on this board, it's hard not to fix things while you are in there, because some of these jobs you only want to do once.

Of course, if your replacement tranny has a transfer case already on it, you won't have to swap it at all.

OK-Slow down.

You are way ahead of yourself.

Study the FSM. You will understand that the transfercase is basically built on to the back of the tranny. You cannot possibly swap the tranny without removing the t-case.

The Whole unit (tranny + tcase) should be removed as one piecet, then the t-case disassembled off the back of the transmission and then built onto the new transmission, then the whole unit re-installed in the truck. Be methodical and logical and it isn't that hard.

On the split case units, the transfercase does not exist as a separate unit. When not installed on the transmission, it exists as 2 case halves and a bunch of gears.

On the front case half, there is an oil seal that keep gear oil from the tranfer out of the automatic transmission. I would replace that oil seal at a minimum, and run everything else as is. You will likely damage the paper gasket between the case halves, so have a new one of those on hand.

Last edited:
Yep, I did take a good look underneath and yes everything comes out together, I will report the progress next week. For now, I will just dream of driving my car down the street, til then HASTA LUEGO CONPADRES!!!

This may be too late now, BUT, when you would shift your original transmission manually would it shift into all of the gears? I am assuming that you confirmed that it was indeed bad and wasn't just in dire need of a fluid change or cable adjustment. I may have missed where you mentioned this but I thought I'd try to save you some time since you only need it for a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom