1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ62 to manual

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Roverlab, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Roverlab

Roverlab

Howdy folks!
    I'm new to the forum and primarily a Land Rover guy, but I have a Rover customer with a pair of 62's. One, with 210k on the clock lost drive after a long trip. The transmission seems to work well cold, but begins to have difficulty with temp.
    I saw the thread about flushing the trans with synthetic dexron, and I'm going to try that tomorrow, but I was wondering if there was any other suggestions.
    And, can a 4 or 5 speed be fitted to this vehicle? I saw a few trans mission threads but they seemed to be about upgrading a vehicle with an existing manual.
    Any help greatly appreciated!
    Trevor

2. dieselbigot

dieselbigot

Trevor,

Yes...it's doable. Do a search for H55F + Dunbar. His were the best threads with the most info. I am about to embark on a 4sp swap for my 62. If you have a 60 parts rig (which I do), then you have everything you need unless you want to do a new clutch, slave, master etc while you have it all apart. Your parts rig needs to be a May/85 or newer build date (ie only an 86 or 87 will work). You can either swap in the H42 4sp, or buy the more desirable H55F 5spd and drop it in place of the H42 but using the Flywheel, Bellhousing etc. I'm doing the H42 because 1) it;s free 2) I'll be running 37's & a Crawl box so I won't need the OD on the 5spd

Good luck....

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">