FJ62 to fj60 rear axle swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 89 FJ62 that seems that I need a new rear end. Not having any luck finding one used. Any recommendations on should I rebuild the existing (never rebuilt a differential) or can I swap in a fj60 rear end? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

80 series have 4:11 and the rear diff swaps into a 62. Note - front diff on the 80 does not swap into a 62.

Rebuild yours or have it rebuilt. Removing & replacing it will yourself will save you a lot of money and it’s not that hard. Rebuilding it is a bit intimidating.

I have a 89 FJ62 that seems that I need a new rear end. Not having any luck finding one used. Any recommendations on should I rebuild the existing (never rebuilt a differential) or can I swap in a fj60 rear end? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
The rear differential carriers are interchangeable so if you find one from a 60 it will bolt right in. This problem is it because you have excessive play at the pinion and it’s making noise? You can order bearing kits and just have the 3rd rebuilt. A solution could be to pull the front carrier out, put it in the rear at the same time you pull the rear. Fronts generally have no wear on them at all.
Just remember if you are buying used and swapping them around to match the ratios.

The rear differential carriers are interchangeable so if you find one from a 60 it will bolt right in. This problem is it because you have excessive play at the pinion and it’s making noise? You can order bearing kits and just have the 3rd rebuilt. A solution could be to pull the front carrier out, put it in the rear at the same time you pull the rear. Fronts generally have no wear on them at all.
Just remember if you are buying used and swapping them around to match the ratios.
Thank you for the help. Planning on a rebuild. You don’t learn if you don’t put hands on it.

what is wrong with your existing diff?
where have you looked for a used diff?
first post?
they are available,

try posting in this section: Classifieds - Axle/Suspension
I am near Charlottesville, Virginia and brought it from the Colorado mountains rear started howling and there is excessive play on the pinion.. it is my first post. I owned an 80 but got a great deal on the 62 so trying to figure out all her quirks. Thank you

Rebuild yours or have it rebuilt. Removing & replacing it will yourself will save you a lot of money and it’s not that hard. Rebuilding it is a bit intimidating.
Thank you. Planning on a rebuild. Can’t learn if you don’t put hands on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom