fj62 tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

redneckFJ62 said:
What is the biggest set of tires you can put on an unlifted FJ62?

this answers varies of course... i would not go bigger than 31s though.

Depends on how much your springs have settled.

33x9.5 BFG A/T works well for most, will rub a bit off road

33x10.5 will rub sometimes on road, badly off road

Agreed. If you are doing a lot of highway miles I would prolly go with 31s (>50 miles a day). If not, go with 33s.

yooper said:
Depends on how much your springs have settled.

33x9.5 BFG A/T works well for most, will rub a bit off road

32 by 11.50 ?

Anybody else have a good experience with that size & stock susp.?

It's tire time for me too, but I was afraid those are too wide for rubbing (and the wheel too).

i have a 60 and went with goodyear wrangler 32x10.5 and they work fine. i will most likely do a shackle lift to give a little more room but the tires are just fine as is. i'm going for a nice camping/trip/snow rig and i'm happy with this setup so far. 31s would probably have been fine, but the 32s look pretty dang cool and i liked the review of the wranglers better.

that's my pocket change.

matt

yooper said:

My 33x11.50's haven't rubbed ON road once in the year or so they've been on there. Driven in deep snow off road with 'em too with no problems. Not a lot of rock crawling her in Iowa though.

I say fxxx it, go with 35's. That's what I did when I was stock. It rubbed a little but it's a small price to pay for rolling 35's.

SHO NUFF said:
I say fxxx it, go with 35's. That's what I did when I was stock. It rubbed a little but it's a small price to pay for rolling 35's.

Oh my gawd.

Did you address braking, gearing, or anything else?

33x10.50s on a stock suspension works fine with minimal rubbing at the front of the wheel well on the front axle at maximum compression. No worries on the rear axle. 35s will work only if you never drive over any speed bumps at the mall.

Why would you put a tire on that would rub at all, unless you are going to upgrade your springs in the near future. If you're gonna do your springs you might as use the $$ you were gonna spend on the tires and put it towards a lift.....then buy tires.

try out some of those pit bull tires (link above), the smallest one listed on their website was 33x13.5 15"

I have 31 x 10.5 BFG AT/TA's on my 60 and there is no rubbing - ride is great. How does a larger tire, like a 35 effect top speed, handling, etc.?

MDH33 said:
I have 31 x 10.5 BFG AT/TA's on my 60 and there is no rubbing - ride is great. How does a larger tire, like a 35 effect top speed, handling, etc.?
I have 33x12.5 SS with OEM gears and going up long hills is a bitch sometimes....
I would imagine if you had 35's without changing anything else you wouldnt have much fun having a 1972 VW bug pass you up hills....

Sho Nuff, what tires and what width 35s?

overhanger said:
35s will work only if you never drive over any speed bumps at the mall.
This is the last obstacle on a fairly tough trail. I had run this trail on the stock tires a couple months earlier. I got stuck severel times and bairly made it. Just by slapping on 35's, I ran the same trail taking much harder lines and didn't get stuck once.
35s3.JPG

That might have a lot to do with tire tread pattern, and not as much to do with tire size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom