FJ62 Tire Size Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most people, myself included, run 31s on stock suspension, no rub. But some people here squeeze 33s on there, but it probably rubs like a bitch.

Are the springs saggy? You could go a 32" if not.

My springs are pretty saggy, and I couldn't help myself and bought 33x12.50s before I put a lift on. It actually doesn't rub all tha tmuch. If I'm loaded down the backs will rub slightly on the inside but the fronts hardly ever unless I'm on really crappy road.I have 52 series rock crawler wheels. 15 inch. 3.5 backspace. Going to lift it in the next couple weeks though. Had 31's on there before, never rubbed.

I don't think it's sagging, but is there something I should measure to be sure?

Here are some pictures for reference.
2012-03-281344.jpg

2012-06-10_17-33-25_70.jpg

2012-06-10_17-39-38_981.jpg

I don't think it's sagging, but is there something I should measure to be sure?

Here are some pictures for reference.
2012-03-281344.jpg

2012-06-10_17-33-25_70.jpg

2012-06-10_17-39-38_981.jpg

I can't be 100% but by the looks of the your shackle angle in pic 2 they're a little saggy. No problem - it's what they do. Ideally they should be like this /

I guess you could grab a pair of 33" tyres from a mate and see if they fit under full flex. You can do this by lifting opposite corners, then swap. If they scrub, get a 32".

gear ratios...

The A440f auto tranny will hate 32" or 33" tires...
I have a fresh rebuily 3FE with cam, shaved head and 40 over and I run 31x10.5-15 Duratrac's... excellent size for both gearing and a set of new springs.
If you feel the truck is low on power and a bit slow with the stock tires, it will shurely get worse with a larger tire...
2 cents
:cool:

A 3FE 62 is slow regardless of what size tires are on there, but with anything larger than 31" tires, you start to notice more and the mileage, as unbelievable as it seems, gets even worse.

The question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I need 33" tires? Am I going to be DD it or off-roading it or both?" If you're not planning on lifting it, just go with 31" tires. If a lift is in your future, then go with 33"s.

Debated the same question. All stock rig. Went with 31 M/Ts and haven't looked back. I feel good about the stress on my tranny and as a mild wheeler I haven't had a situation yet that I thought I wish i had 33's. But it's an endless debate just search and you can read for months.

Just to add to the debate. I have an 88 and I put on the 33x10. 5 bfg about 2 yrs ago. Zero issues. Gas mileage hasn't changed and I haven't experienced any rubbing. The big difference/ issues I think come when you get into the wider, and even heavier, 12.5 tire. However, I it appears that I have less sag than you as well. That could make a difference. IMHO

I actually run 33x10.5x15 as well, and the gas mileage is slightly less than what the original window sticker "expected". I had 33x12.5 when I got the truck, but I didn't like the fit and the rubbing. Went to 33x10.5 KM2s and haven't looked back.

On my old FJ60 I had both 31x10.5 and 33x10.5 and the 31's were much better mileage and acceleration-wise due to the higher gearing. Although, the 33's weren't bad by any means.

" Are my springs sagging..." Hilarious! Nah, not on an original 60 - its unheard of.

I have 33's but I'm lifted and want to go back to a smaller diameter....Correct me if I am wrong but larger tires = greater rolling resistance but they also lower highway RPM's. My highway mileage actually jumped a bit with the 33's.

Tread contact patch size, the compounds in the rubber (hardness) and the tread pattern all factor into rolling resistance, not the diameter or height of a fire. Skinny 33s should have less rolling resistance than fat 31.

The diameter affects the speedo reading properly and the rpm/speed ratio. Changing gears can bring that ratio back to stock.

The A440f auto tranny will hate 32" or 33" tires...
I have a fresh rebuily 3FE with cam, shaved head and 40 over and I run 31x10.5-15 Duratrac's... excellent size for both gearing and a set of new springs.
If you feel the truck is low on power and a bit slow with the stock tires, it will shurely get worse with a larger tire...
2 cents
:cool:

I am going to do a OME medium lift and go to 33's. I worry that
It will wreck up my newly rebuilt A440, am going to 4.56 gears to
eliminate the tranny stress. I still do some highway and don't want
to hurt the tranny and keep the revs from getting too low at highway speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom