FJ62 suspension refurb - What do I wanna do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
The suspension on my 62 is in dire need of refurbishing. I know the shocks are done for so that's one big thing, but the springs are stiff as bricks ever since I put my full length Add-A-Leafs in many years ago. I had been planning on using next spring's tax return on just going with a 2-3" OME setup, but will instead be using it to have @torfab swap out my A440F with the H55F that I've had sitting in my shop since 2010, along with a twin stick kit for the tcase from @orangefj45.

So this begs the question: should I just give it time and save for the OME to put in later on, OR what I had considered in the past: Rebuild my rear spring packs with delrin strips, move them to the front in conjunction with a shackle reversal, and put Chevy 63" springs (which would also be rebuilt with delrin strips installed) in the back? My welding skills are easily plenty that this wouldn't be out of the question as long as I can get my hands on the necessary parts.

So what's the consensus? My 62 sees about 80% road and 20% trail. No rock crawling; mainly logging roads and the occasional jaunt through the ORV park near me.

The 63" Chevy conversion is MUCH cheaper than OME (the OME 2-3" heavy/heavy kit I priced from @cruiseroutfit was about $2700 IIRC), but requires a lot more work setting up for the springs front and back, including the shackle reversal. Though should I go OME, I would do a SR hopefully fairly soon afterward anyway.

Honestly I think whichever way I go I'll be happy with the end result, but I'm kind of thinking a well set up rears-to-front, shackle reversal and Chevy 63" in the back suspension would kind of be the "ultimate 60 series leaf spring suspension".

Now if money and time to do it were both non-issues, I'd have a custom shop convert it to coil springs. That's a "it'll never happen" pipe dream though.

Correction: $1700, not $2700

Last edited:
Sprung under with 63s? not sure if that would give you lift would be sweet tho
That's where I'm getting confused. I'm seeing some people saying it will give about 2" of lift and some saying it won't. I can't seem to find any definitive answer on that one.

SUA with stock 63" wont work at all. You would need at least a 3" lift version of a 63" unless you wanted to cut the hell out of the body, and then you would have huge springs under the axle. Good option for SOA, there are better choices for SUA springs.

the OME 2-3" heavy/heavy kit I priced from @cruiseroutfit was about $2700 IIRC

I just got the OME 2-3 inch heavy kit from Kurt this past summer. $1600 all in shipped to my door. I did not need the steering damper with mine as I had just gotten one last fall, so that dropped the price a bit. I think he has a version of the kit with some non-OME parts (shackles maybe?). That saved me some cash as well. But loving the OME on my truck. Not a 62 but you get the idea:

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg
IMG_4769.jpg

HTH.

Real cheap alternative. Try soaking your current springs with kroil or used motor oil etc. basically try to get lube between all the leafs. Then clean off the excess and see if they ride any better. Leafs need to slide and if they are corroded they won’t slide.

Real cheap alternative. Try soaking your current springs with kroil or used motor oil etc. basically try to get lube between all the leafs. Then clean off the excess and see if they ride any better. Leafs need to slide and if they are corroded they won’t slide.
Oh yeah they're corroded as hell now. But even when I refurbished them several years ago and sprayed each leaf with Slip Plate it rode way stiff. I do still intend to stay SUA, so it looks like the OME kit will be the way I go.

Last edited:
I have the original springs on my 62, 301k miles. On the highway and good surface roads, the ride is pretty smooth. On surface roads, or defective expansion joints, its a hard stop in the suspension. I have replaced all the spring bushings and bump stops. I am debating between replacing the springs, or trying the 'body to frame' bushings.

I have the original springs on my 62, 301k miles. On the highway and good surface roads, the ride is pretty smooth. On surface roads, or defective expansion joints, its a hard stop in the suspension. I have replaced all the spring bushings and bump stops. I am debating between replacing the springs, or trying the 'body to frame' bushings.
I replaced those years ago with poly bushings and 1" body lift blocks from Roger Brown. About 8 years ago I think it was. Love them, BUT, you feel more details and vibrations from the road. I think with a good condition suspension it would negate the extra coarseness from the poly body mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom