FJ62 Strange Transmission and/or Transfer Case Sounds... Need Some Insight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I recently transplanted a lower mile (around 170k) transmission into my 62 and have been getting a weird noise from it when the torque converter locks up and generally up until the transmission shifts into OD. I'm hoping someone with good experience can help me track down what the problem is... if there is a problem at all.

Here's a list of what I did for the transplant:
-New front oil seal on transmission
-Cleaned filter, new filter gasket and new pan gasket
-Completely resealed original transfer case (everything in it was in good shape and well within tolerance so I decided to not do an entire rebuild)
-New rear main seal
-Synthetic gear oil in the transfer
-Valvoline MaxLife synthetic tranny fluid
-Rebuilt and "Towing Package" modified torque converter by those awesome dudes at Roadrunner Converters
-Replaced all shifter linkage bushings
-All OEM Mr. T parts

I've put close to 200 miles on the setup since install and am tickled pink about the performance.... but I'm getting a bad feeling about this sound it's making pretty regularly--it sounds almost like my tired speedo cable on a cold morning. I can barely hear it when the transfer case shifter upper and lower boots are installed but it's pretty clear and annoying with the boots off. It did not do this in my initial drive after getting everything put back together but it has popped up fairly regularly since. It does not make this sound when the tranny is cold and it really only becomes apparent at full operating temp.

I immediately contacted Roadrunner to make sure it wasn't something having to do with the converter or my install of the converter, but they said it would make sounds constantly if that were the case, plus it would be much louder than I describe.

So this leaves me with either the tranny or the transfer as the possible culprits and I am leaning towards my assembly of the transfer but I could swear it sounds like the noise is coming more from the front of the transmission, pretty much right where the transfer shift lever opening is.

A couple things to note:
-My front drive shaft starts turning slowly right around the same time this sound starts... but not exactly the same time.
-When I started the truck first time after the install I was in 4-low even though I thought I was in high gear. Turns out the shift shaft going into the transfer had dropped down to where the arm wasn't moving the shift rod inside the transfer case.... I guess I lost a washer or whatever is used to keep that thing up, but it would be the ONLY part lost out of the many 100 I had taken off... I bagged and tagged EVERYTHING when I was disassembling. It's in high gear now but I haven't messed with it any further since it's been raining cats and dogs here forever and I've been busy otherwise. Maybe I screwed something up in reassembly?
-I made absolutely phvking sure I installed the converter correctly. I had closer to 3/4" from the face of the converter to the front of the bellhousing... FSM calls for at least 1/2". It takes almost an hour to prefill the converter with 5 qts of fluid before putting it on. I made sure I could turn it and it wasn't bound on anything after mating the tranny to the block.
-Fluid not burnt

Here are a couple videos of the sounds... I should have talked less, but here they are:

Anyone have any ideas? Am I completely boning my drivetrain?

Last edited:
I will add I accidentally broke the wire going into my Low range position sensor.... but I can't imagine that has any effect, IIRC it only lights up the lights on the shifter base to tell you that you're in low range....

I don't hear anything that sounds fatal. At some point, you need to just drive it and watch the trans. temperature and see if the noise gets remarkably worse. I would check the trans and xfer oil condition a little more often, too.

I would install the shifter boot - many transmissions make horrid sounds (H42) with no tunnel cover, or worse, a tunnel cover resting on the transmission - and missing shifter boots allow scary sounds through the floor, too.

It sounds like you've done everything 'right' (within anyone's capability) - roll with it and see how it goes. You might try towing 2000# and see if putting a load on it makes it better or worse. You could also try going up a steep hill to put more of a load on the drivetrain, or temporarily applying the parking brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom