FJ62 Stereo Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rhodescreations.com
SO... new 62 I picked up is missing the stero (it was stolen). Fortunately I have a spare... but I can't seem to figure out what wire it what inside. Anyone have access to a wiring diagram or at least a list of what color wire is what?
Thanks in advance...:beer:

if you have a multi meter you can find power, switched power and ground quite easy. then hook up the unit and start trying speaker wires, usualy paired by colour ie red, red-white. the constant power is usualy a heavier gauge.

it may also have a wire from the headlights that dim the display when the dash lights come on. the unit itself may even dim.

If the spare radio is a Toyota radio, it's a plug-n-play.
Toyota has not change the basic wiring for the radio since 1987.

I recently put a Scion radio ($50) w/ a CD player in our '89 FJ62. It was a direct plug in. Even w/ the OEM speakers it made a whole lot of difference in the sound.

Have color codes from MetraOEM plug wiring
12 Volt Ign/acc -red
12 volt Batt/Memory-yellow
ground-blk
pwr antenna-blue
amp turn on-blu/white
amp ground blk/white
illumination-orange
dimmer-orange/white
phone mute-brown
speakers
right front pos-gray
right front neg-gray/blk
left front pos-white
left fron neg-white/blk
right rear pos-violet
right rear neg-violet/blk
left rear pos-green
left rear neg-green/blk.
This plug is supposed to be OEM and plug from stock harness to stereo. Hope it helps.

Okay. I'm back... tired of the no radio cruiser. I bought a scion radio... and a wiring harness to fit it... and while the new harness came with a color guide, I'm still stuck on what goes to what in the dash. I got the easy stuff... but what I NEED is for someone who has a wire/color/does what list for the FJ62. I know someone has this. The multimeter isn't helping. Can anyone end the silence?

maybe a dumb question but did you look at the google ads
at the bottom of this thread? They list two sites that say
they have wiring diagrams.....

What exactly are you having trouble with? a test light will tell you what your power, switched power, illumination and ground are. Next would be the speaker wires. A 9 volt battery can be used to "pop" the speakers to see which is which. where are you stuck?

i don't see the same ads... they change i guess.

They go away when you pony up the $20 for a star to support website that saves you hundreds of dollars a year, like you did. :D

BTW, touch a 9 volt battery to the speaker wires in the dash. Listen for the speaker clicking, you will know which wires go to the speakers. Speaker wires are always in pairs, IE one solid brown another brown with a pink stripe.

This is the wiring diagram that I used to wire a Ford truck double-din radio into my FJ62. This unit had CD, cassette, and fit perfectly, sounded and look great. The quick releases allowed me to remove the radio without disassembling the dash. I eventually replaced it with a Scion 6-cd changer radio, primarily because it could play MP3s.

The right side of the chart has the Toy wire colors. Ignore the left side unless you are installing a Ford radio. Hope this is what you are looking for.

NOTE: SOMETHING LOOKED WRONG WITH THE ORIGINAL WIRING TABLE SO I PULLED THE RADIO AND GOT THE ACTUAL COLORS FROM THE FJ62 WIRING HARNESS. The updated table is correct. Sorry about the error.
LC-to-Ford-Radio-Wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch... now I just need to figure out the brown wire... and why in gods name would they not havre the black wire as the ground? jeez...

Made a mistake in the wiring so now it is correct.

thanks! I'll get the harness all set for the new radio! i really appreciate you taking the time to pull your radio and check this for me. i owe ya a beer.

So when the original radio was stolen, they cut the wiring harness??
If you have the original radio plug on the wires, it just plugs into the back of the Scion and works.
Been there, done it, and now enjoying tunes in the 'Cruiser.

Well actually... when the radio was stolen they didn't cut the wires... I did after because I had a spare CD player w/ harness that I was going to install. Unfortunately when I attempted to wire it all up I managed to fry the radio and thus make the harness useless... so I was left with bare wires. So. So I bought a scion wiring harness and finally got a listing of what was what from the 62 and put it all together. I also picked up a scion CD player from ebay... I was all set to plug it in this morning AND... no go. Both the jack on the radio and the harness are female. They're the same, but both female. Suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom