FJ62 Steering wheel bouncing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it certainly won't do that when the engine is off...so it's either the pump or power assistance through the steering gear box.
If you have good power steering assist at normal straighter angles (not jerky like that) then the pump is ok and the gearbox is suspect.

@Output Shaft Yeah it doesn't happen when going straight, only when parking and turning on far left or right. So if it's the gearbox, what can I do before replacing it? I've heard it can get pretty expensive! Thank you

Many guys have been happy with West Texas Off-road gearbox rebuilds. Personally I've never used them, but when my steering gearbox goes, I'll probably ship it to them...based on what I've heard on MUD.

Link below has some good threads about them. Don't think it's too expensive.

Search Results for Query: Wto | IH8MUD Forum

I've gone two routes I'd recommend (I drive an 89 FJ62): West Texas Offroad and/or a used gearbox from an early 80-series. They bolt right on to your frame with zero modifications required.

In my case I found a local guying parting out a 1992 FJ80 and picked up the gearbox for $70. I did this to have a backup while WTO was rebuilding mine then ended up just sticking with it.

Generally when you hit the end of travel the pump has to bypass the fluid. The pumps have a bypass valve that has a preset psi.
Maybe the bypass valve is sticking or not working right. Chances of it being the box is probably less. I'm not sure it would pose a
safety risk as much as be an annoyance. I've seen it more than once, one time so bad the the pump would stop and the belt slip and squeal. If it stops pulsing just off full lock, that would pretty much diagnose it.

I've gone two routes I'd recommend (I drive an 89 FJ62): West Texas Offroad and/or a used gearbox from an early 80-series. They bolt right on to your frame with zero modifications required.

In my case I found a local guying parting out a 1992 FJ80 and picked up the gearbox for $70. I did this to have a backup while WTO was rebuilding mine then ended up just sticking with it.

How long was the turn around for them to get the box back to you? And about how much was it? Thanks...

I'll have to check on the price. I seem to remember it being around $125 or so plus shipping there and back. Shipping cost is substantial as the gearbox weighs like 34-pounds.

Turnaround was fast, much faster than expected. They got it on a Monday morning and had it ready to return by Thursday evening.

There's a bit more to this story that I detailed in another thread. Here:

Ok belt could be quiet but not teight enough,did you check the tension pulley?
Did you change the fluid ? Make sure to use Dexron 2 fluid.
Try this ! Who knows...
Yep always check the easy cheap things are right first before recoing the gearbox because a uni has carced it...just ask me how I know....

Yep always check the easy cheap things are right first before recoing the gearbox because a uni has carced it...just ask me how I know....

Haha... what?

I just tried to access the adjusting screw to check wheel freeplay and oil level, but it's hardly accessible without removing some stuff, like the fender is on the way too. What should I remove first to access it? Sorry for my newbie question haha!

It's tight, but you can reach it from the wheel well with an open ended wrench (you'll have to pull aside the rubber mud "skirt" if it's present). You can also get to it from directly above with a socket extension.

Don't over tighten that sucker; I've read you can cause some damage to the gear?

Ok I readjusted the steering wheel freeplay, it drives better but doesn't address the issue when at parking speed and steering. I did a new video filming the belt: fj62-steering-belt.mp4

The belt slow down and almost stop when I turn the steering wheel, is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom