FJ62 Steering Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
home.nc.rr.com
Had my front end checked for the first time today. Mechanic told me the steering box is way worn. How and where would I get a replacement? Is this normal, or could he be mistaken? Thanks

Ask him in what way is it worn and to show you what he means. These are very spendy to replace but can be rebuilt by a shop.

They will come up in the classifieds here once in a while. I've seen an entire FJ62 power steering setup go for $200ish- pump, lines, box, even column. Retail outfits will run around $800-1000 for used, $2000+ new.

lots of components lend themselves to sloppy steering, the PS gear box being but one of them. TRE's, drag link ends, steering knuckles, loose wheel bearings, steering shaft wear, worn suspension bushings (did I miss any?) all can be contributors to a loose front end.

often times worn parts are masking others, so best 2¢ would be to start with the component most worn or obviously shot and start working your way through until you've tightened that sucker up.

if your PS gear box is bad (and chances are that if it is still original, it's toast), many local big rig or heavy equipment repair shops can rebuild them for less than $300, a bargain compared to the new OEM part price in excess of $2400.00 (no, that's not a typo) ;) or try James at www.cruiserparts.net. he sells a completely remanufactured unit with a warranty for around $500.00.

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

My front end has some movement but nothing appears loose(TRE's etc). A Toyota mechanic told me that the steering gear box is pretty worn and that it was not dangerous to drive so if I could live with the movement then I did not need to do anything. He did give me a price for a rebuild, I'll see if I can find it.

I think a 91-2(at least) fj80 uses the same box.....which gives a few more options.

rebuild will prolly be $300-ish

and I would be REALLY suprised if the box is bad, I have one with 350,000 and its fine, another with 250K..........fine.

West Texas Offroad (redneck ram) rebuilds them for around 2hunny.

I paid about $500 from steeringboxes.com. But I strongly suggest adjusting it 1st. Search this board & you'll find several threads that lend practicality to the FSM's procedure & recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom