FJ62 Steering box options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let the wife drive the ‘88 FJ62 today and wouldn’t you know... lots of complaints about the loose steering. Everything has been replaced, tie rods, drag links, rods, dampener, clamps and what not. The only thing I didn’t touch was then steering box. I know West Texas Off-road rebuilds them, but I’m worry thats not going to tighten it up enough. Would appreciate responses if anyone had their rebuilt, but also looking at complete replacement options, 80 series steering box swap? What else is there.

Have you already adjusted the bolt on the top of the steering box?
If not that‘ll take quite a bit of play out of it.

1362F608-591E-4A9D-AB20-11490AA56642.jpeg

Alignment, spring bushings, loose wheel bearings, worn knuckle bearings. If the steering box is not leaking then best to leave it alone.

It's a 60 series and will never have tight modern-car feeling steering.
New OME heavy lift was done at the same times as the steering linkage, as well as, built the knuckles with new wheel bearings. Got an alignment once all that work was done too.

If you do go down the path of a steering box rebuild, make sure to understand how each company defines "rebuild". I had WTOR do my 60 steering box, and I believe it was basically seals and things like that, and not so much the actual internals that tighten up the steering. I had a local place actually rebuild all the internals on my 80 box and that made a drastic improvement. I believe the 80 guys have had good success with redhead rebuilds and they do custom work, so maybe reach out to them and see what their rebuilds actually accomplish as compared to others?

On another note, I added caster shims to my 60 and it helped the most. Steering is still light and I guess maybe loose, but it feels like it tracks very straight and as expected to me.

Last edited:
New OME heavy lift was done at the same times as the steering linkage, as well as, built the knuckles with new wheel bearings. Got an alignment once all that work was done too.
Did you install caster shims at the same time? I drove mine for a bit without them while I waited on the 4* shims I ordered from Georg (@orangefj45) and the bump steer was insane. Got them in shortly after they arrived and much better steering. Back to what I was used to (also already had all new components not even a year old with repacked and properly preloaded wheel bearings). My steering box is worn to the limit of its adjustment though, so it wont be long before I have to replace it. Given prices and parts availability I'll likely convert to an 80 box. My hope is that by the time I'm there I can afford to do a knuckle job that'll also include the Tundra brake upgrade and a new linkage kit from 4x4Labs. Like I said though; "hope".

If you do go down the path of a steering box rebuild, make sure to understand how each company defines "rebuild". I had WTOR do my 60 steering box, and I believe it was basically seals and things like that, and not so much the actual internals that tighten up the steering. I had a local place actually rebuild all the internals on my 80 box and that made a drastic improvement. I believe the 80 guys have had good success with redhead rebuilds and they do custom work, so maybe reach out to them and see what their rebuilds actually accomplish as compared to others?

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about with sending it off. No point to get a non-leaking box resealed and no internal rebuild. Hence, why I'm looking at just swapping the box all together.

On another note, I added caster shims to my 60 and it helped the most. Steering is still light and I guess maybe loose, but it feels like it tracks very straight and as expected to me.

Did you install caster shims at the same time? I drove mine for a bit without them while I waited on the 4* shims I ordered from Georg (@orangefj45) and the bump steer was insane. Got them in shortly after they arrived and much better steering. Back to what I was used to (also already had all new components not even a year old with repacked and properly preloaded wheel bearings). My steering box is worn to the limit of its adjustment though, so it wont be long before I have to replace it. Given prices and parts availability I'll likely convert to an 80 box. My hope is that by the time I'm there I can afford to do a knuckle job that'll also include the Tundra brake upgrade and a new linkage kit from 4x4Labs. Like I said though; "hope".

Here's the read out for my alignment. I was planning on doing casters, but wanted to get the alignment measurements from the shop so I could figure out what degree I needed to order. Anyways, never got around to figuring out what I needed, plus with there being no negative caster like I was worried about I kinda wrote it off. With that being said I don't really have any noticeable bump steer or issues with return to center. I'll order some 2* shims and see if that does anything.

88 Fj62 caster.jpg

For what it's worth, I spent forever dialing mine in with all sorts of stuff, and this is where I ended up and what I like best. This is with a 2.5" OME med front and heavy rear.

1605384885038.png

Finally, got around to ordering shims today. I'll get them installed once they get here and give that a go. I was planning on doing 2* shims, because that should have put it close to stock, but the guy that I talked to from Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids said 4* is the most common one they sell. So, I just went with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom