FJ62 stalling: TPS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 89 FJ62 hasn't run in a couple of months. When I accelerate- slowly as it is- it sputters and dies. Sometimes if I pump the pedal it will come back to life. Usually I have to mash the pedal to the floor. I am wondering if the TPS is bad. I am going to replace it tonight anyway, but was hoping for more leads. I have replaced the FPR, plugs, wires. Thinking of hitting the O2 sensors as well. Thanks.
Getto

how bout the fuel filter?

my 94 did this for the first time someone suggested water in the mass air flow sensor connector, none there,, but changed the fuel filter and it has not happened since,,

Do you have the FSM that details testing the TPS? It is quite simple - all you need is a multimeter.

from what I understand at one point the tps springs break ,,they all go bad just like the fpr,,

oh yea could be clogged injectors, intake leak....do a vacc test to see if it is a vacc leak, there is info in the tech section about what the numbers mean

the local scrap yard guy pulled his 3fe and put in a 350 bc of the stutter, he said the head was cracked but he has more dollars than sense,,,

Solution - FJ62 stalling while idling ... due faulty TPS

My 89 FJ62 hasn't run in a couple of months. When I accelerate- slowly as it is- it sputters and dies. Sometimes if I pump the pedal it will come back to life. Usually I have to mash the pedal to the floor. I am wondering if the TPS is bad. I am going to replace it tonight anyway, but was hoping for more leads. I have replaced the FPR, plugs, wires. Thinking of hitting the O2 sensors as well. Thanks.
Getto

This is an old thread, but wanted to post my experiences/impressions for others' benefit....

I experienced the exactly the same symptoms (per above from Getto) with my FJ62 recently. Really quite disconcerting when my LC had been running smartly for quite a while.

After consulting a Toyota pro, I learned the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) was bad, moving me to change out the entire TPS unit. Problem solved. (I paid about $140 for the TPS, which I bought locally because I was in a pinch ... however, you can find it online for about $95-100, if you can stand to wait.)

Secondary indicators I found leading up to my stalling problems were diminished fuel efficiency, a mild "cough" while idling, either at stop or in park. Also found black smoke (fuel burn) on occasion, strong fuel-exhaust odors, all were alarming.

Ultimately, changing out the entire TPS worked for me. No problems now and everything is smooth now. No coughs, engine hums smoothly, and significantly "cleaner" burn with no exhaust. Hope this helps others to come...! :cheers:

This is an old thread, but wanted to post my experiences/impressions for others' benefit....

I experienced the exactly the same symptoms (per above from Getto) with my FJ62 recently. Really quite disconcerting when my LC had been running smartly for quite a while.

After consulting a Toyota pro, I learned the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) was bad, moving me to change out the entire TPS unit. Problem solved. (I paid about $140 for the TPS, which I bought locally because I was in a pinch ... however, you can find it online for about $95-100, if you can stand to wait.)

Secondary indicators I found leading up to my stalling problems were diminished fuel efficiency, a mild "cough" while idling, either at stop or in park. Also found black smoke (fuel burn) on occasion, strong fuel-exhaust odors, all were alarming.

Ultimately, changing out the entire TPS worked for me. No problems now and everything is smooth now. No coughs, engine hums smoothly, and significantly "cleaner" burn with no exhaust. Hope this helps others to come...! :cheers:

Part number and a recommended place to buy?

I have niggling fuel consumption issues as well as stutter off the line and fuel odors and exhaust odors. Might not jump right on it, but might be a thing for the next parts order.

Glad to see that this helped a lot of your issues.

Erik --

I believe the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) part number is # W0133-1609809. Recently found the TPS available at the following Dallas Toyota parts shop ... some very competitive prices!

ToyotaPartSales.com

Also found at...

88 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser Throttle Position Sensor - Fuel Injection - Forecast, OES Genuine, Delphi, Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek

I got my OEM part through the local Toyota Dealer, so it's still readily available. Gotta love Toyota and its parts availability! :grinpimp:

The faulty TPS seemed to be the problem in my case. I note also that the stalling happened at low RPM, but seemed to run okay at higher RPM. Power was good, but it would stall out when I came to a full stop. Restarting would be a struggle and required some serious "gas" to get her going again. Not cool, and I'm glad to have gotten that issue fixed. :eek:

Erik --

I believe the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) part number is # W0133-1609809. Recently found the TPS available at the following Dallas Toyota parts shop ... some very competitive prices!

ToyotaPartSales.com

Also found at...

88 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser Throttle Position Sensor - Fuel Injection - Forecast, OES Genuine, Delphi, Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek

I got my OEM part through the local Toyota Dealer, so it's still readily available. Gotta love Toyota and its parts availability! :grinpimp:

The faulty TPS seemed to be the problem in my case. I note also that the stalling happened at low RPM, but seemed to run okay at higher RPM. Power was good, but it would stall out when I came to a full stop. Restarting would be a struggle and required some serious "gas" to get her going again. Not cool, and I'm glad to have gotten that issue fixed. :eek:

Wow, thanks for getting that info. My truck always runs fine at wide open throttle (WPT) :)

I got some "rushed" stops at times and some just strange things at 5 out of 100 stops. She'd just die and "pumping" an EFI was the only solution too. Not saying it happened often, but enough to notice when I had to feather or hammer the gas like I had a carb'd setup.

I hate carbs... I get them, and I've rebuilt them, tweaked them, had them run great and horrible across a ton of engines. But they belong on 2 smokers...

After no check engine codes, and adjusting the swing of the TPS arc, I'm thinking I do have to indeed test it. Me and a test meter, what a joke. And if I figure out if I need to get a new one based on a test, you just hooked me up with the part and some places to score it. Cheers on your research!

I did find that golden screw on the Throttle body today. Time will tell how that helps or hinders. But I got my truck to settle a nice idle at spec RPM in the garage. Dunno what it will do out on the road/trail. I'm not betting for divine "golden" intervention to make all my 3fe troubles go away.

Seriously though, cheers on the pat num and the leads on sources/prices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom