FJ62 Shut off while driving for no apparent reason... Fusible Link? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning! My wife, dog and I grabbed pizza and on the way home I parked the FJ, let it idle for about 10 minutes and then got back in. Started driving and then it shut off. Was able to get it to turn over once or twice and then it puttered out. When turning it on I was able to get all of the lights inside to work, no illuminated CEL, but it would not turn even engage the starter. After about 15 minutes I opened the hood, wiggled the wires around the positive batt terminal and then my wife fired it up and it drove fine.

Thoughts?

A friend/mechanic referenced the fusible link. Doesn't seem to be one in existence from Toyota and I can assume that the FJ60 version(which is readily available) won't work.

Thanks!

Casey

Given your description I’d check:

the fusible link
Check battery terminals are clean and tight
Check that main battery cables and frame cables are clean and tight (grounds).

there is someone on MUD who does rebuild the fusible link

@ToyotaMatt do you have a line to links or do you rebuild them or remember who was?

I think Coolerman is done rebuilding for now. I never got an email response from him. I did source some parts and rebuilt mine. The proper fusible link wire, some terminal connections (one's an odd size), some heat shrink, ring terminals, wire protector, and good crimps with a splash of knowledge and you'll be back in order.

IMG_20210404_190102.jpg

Hi, How old is fuel pump? Mike
That is a great question, Honestly I dont know. Being that the car would not crank at all, or seem like it was trying to send a signal to the starter I think it is something related to that but I will certainly inspect.

Regarding Coolerman, I did hear back from him(email) and I sent him photos of my link to see if it is the correct type for his rebuild.

You have a loose or corroded main cable somewhere

Can you let me know where the main cables are located?
the main cables connect to the battery. the ground cable goes from the battery, to the body, and then down near the frame. there is another heavy ground cable back near the starter to the frame. The main positive cable goes from the battery to the starter.

the main cables connect to the battery. the ground cable goes from the battery, to the body, and then down near the frame. there is another heavy ground cable back near the starter to the frame. The main positive cable goes from the battery to the starter.
Thank you.

fusable link , first point of check and diagnose step 1 , then , others for steps 2 and beyond

I replaced the fusible link and no luck. It still has issues starting. Traced an issue with a wire to the 7th injector. So going to rerun a wire to that and also consider a fuel pressure regulator.

you replaced the fusible link why? Was it bad?
Is it just having issues cranking or does it not want to start when it cranks properly? you're not making it easy to help you

you replaced the fusible link why? Was it bad?
Is it just having issues cranking or does it not want to start when it cranks properly? you're not making it easy to help you
When the car initially turned off I moved around the wires on the positive terminal at the suggestion of a mechanic and it then started(following a short amount of time). It could have been due to the engine cooling down(not that it was too hot) or a connection at that area. Figured it wouldn't hurt. The car has had issues firing, seems like it doesn't have enough fuel to keep it going. As stated earlier one of the wires to the cold start injector was shorted so we are going to run another wire to that to see if it helps. I also ordered a fuel pressure regulator as I figured it would be a good measure. If I can provide you more insight to the issue please let me know what.

Like I said initially (4-13, post #7) on a all original 62 your battery cables are probably toast. Did you check them?

Like I said initially (4-13, post #7) on a all original 62 your battery cables are probably toast. Did you check them?
They were all replaced when the engine was rebuilt 20k miles ago and the grounds have been checked.

fusable link , first point of check and diagnose step 1 , then , others for steps 2 and beyond
My 62 (with 12ht) runs nice for over 10000km but it has turned off while driving twice, no dash lights, acc or anything besides my fitted day running lights & hazards.
After about 5 minutes it all comes back. Everything seems tight, would/could the ignition barrel switch be the cause? Or self resetting circuit breaker cause this, a main relay being dodgy?
Please help

My 62 (with 12ht) runs nice for over 10000km but it has turned off while driving twice, no dash lights, acc or anything besides my fitted day running lights & hazards.
After about 5 minutes it all comes back. Everything seems tight, would/could the ignition barrel switch be the cause? Or self resetting circuit breaker cause this, a main relay being dodgy?
Please help

do u have a GLOW step feature on your ignition lock cylinder in any way like my below example pics ?

the word GLOW or the capital letter G ?

1649893702805.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom