FJ62 Shifter getting hot (140°F) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The auto trans gets the floor board warm. I can feel heat coming up from below when driving and with no A/C it is noticeable. This has been the case for 10+ years since I have owned the truck.

Because of this I installed some offbrand (STP) dynamat to combat the heat. It helped a bit but the shifter still gets really hot. I hit it with my cheap infrared thermometer while driving and it gets up to 140°F.

What kind of heat wrap or mat can I install under my carpet to reduce heat in the cab?

Make sure your heat shields from your cats has not been damaged, rusted, or removed (fully or partially) by a PO. Do not ask how I know. They make a big difference.

i put heavy duty attic foil under my shifter boot. The shifter boot used to get almost too hot to touch, now it barely gets warm at all.

Two layers of dynamat stuff isn't cutting it. I was hoping for some options on a fabric heat wrap sort of layer I could place under the carpet.

I will have to check on the heat shields for the cats but I believe they are still there IIRC.

The heat shield under my driver seat was rusted to flakes. I still need to Fab something up to replace it...sigh.

Your shifter lever shouldn't be blazing hot like that normally, imo. Do you have stock carpet and jute in it? Shouldn't be getting "uncomfortable" heat coming through the carpet either.

My shift lever has been hot before on occasion under a load, but generally it's normal warm to the touch. And it's hot here.

Is your trans stressing any? Have an aux trans cooler?

The heat shield under my driver seat was rusted to flakes. I still need to Fab something up to replace it...sigh.
That was my issue w 80. Basically it is all in the same place as a 62. I had my bro in-law fab up some new heat shields and made a huge difference in the heat getting to the truck. Treat the problem, not the symptom. Just the way I roll.

Skniper,
Yes, I run a F250 cooler so the transmission shouldn't be overworking. It runs at 190°F when on flats and on horrible grades fully loaded when I stress it the temps get up to 230° max.

I guess I need to check in on heat shields under the truck. I have had this issue with the old trans and the new used one I swapped in.

Checked underneath the truck and no heat shields for the A440F. There were a lot of heat shields in place for the exhaust.

I pulled the two front chairs and center console. Then I added Reflectix insulation (bubble wrap sandwiched in foil) to key areas near and around the transmission hump. I also have denim recylced fibers that insulate packaged delivered meals to my house on occasion so I added that to the floor under front foot carpet and behind seat carpet in hopes it would help a little with heat and maybe some sound dampening.

We'll see if the temp changes during the drive this weekend. If not, i'm not sure what my next step would be.

Last edited:
I gots quite a few pieces of aluminum 1/8" & 3/16" thick.... probably too thick, but better than nothing...
You welcome to it...

Reflectix will last for a few trips... it will start braking down after that....

reflectix states it is good to 180°F and is in places where the feet won't be. Hoping it will last longer than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom