FJ62 Seized Spare Tire Removal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I think I figured out how to post pics and thought I would post a pics of my new LC and share my first challenge. I plan to reinforce the frame in there rear, the 1st step was to remove the spare. The spare tire hoist was seized, instead of cutting the chain I tried another approach. Since the spare was still inflated, I thought if I let the air out I could push it up enough to release the bracket attached to the chain enough to free the wheel. I used a Jack and some blocks to press the wheel up and was able to get it off. P.S. Disregard the jack stand, I thought the wheel might pivot off the hanger and the stand would hold it in place, but it wasn't needed.

Cheers!

IMG_2095 resize.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

Mine was seized like yours, I deflated the tire and I was trying to find a way to saw the chain, but the chain broke of before that...

knkKRm

Omg. When I Got my fj the jack arm to lower the tire was gone and o have been trying to figure out how to get the stinking thing out. Thanks for posting this!

Biche, I considered adding a before-pic showing the tire against the crossmember, your pics takes care of that. 8960, as long as the spare was stowed inflated, it should work. I knew I have my work cut out for me with this truck; but damn, the 1st task I did that should have been quick but took about .5 hour!

Wow, fun with rust.

Glad I live in CA.

Mine was also rusted but after a lot of wd40, oil, grinding and time it still does not work.
Then I bought a cheap wheel carrier wich had the lift in perfect condition.
The old one never worked, there are some small bearings inside, and some rocket science.

Wow, fun with rust.

Glad I live in CA.

X2

Not in CA but AZ. The one in my 62 is still in great shape. I have a few spare tire carriers. One off a FJ55 to use in my FJ45 and one I installed in my M416. Found just this last weekend the FJ40 rod with the hook is to thick to operate the winch. Better finding now before I have a flat and need to use it.

If I couldn't get it loose I would have just remove the whole carrier complete by unbolting it from the frame or in the case of the rust belt breaking the bolts. These are loose nuts and bolts so no worry about getting broken bolt out of a threaded hole.

Reviving an old thread with a funny story... So I wanted the spare tire removed so I could gain more access while doing an axle rebuild.. But no tool with the cruiser to lower the tire. I came across this and tried the OPs method for a good hour 1/2 with no luck. then I just thought "maybe my Tacoma has this tool." Yup no s*** has the exact tool I needed. The tire was off in 1 minute. Lost all my motivation to keep pressing on with the axle rebuild for the night after I was defeated haha.

I had to fabricate a tool to lift the spare under my recently completed (99% at least) '86 FJ60 build. The FJ60 tools are all in my '84 FJ60 at our place in Nevada. Yep, I also tried the rod from my '76 FJ40, too thick. For the tool I used a large eyebolt to engage the slot in the carrier, but had to grind flats onto it until it fit the slot. I also used a nut, a large socket, a short 1/2" drive extension, and rods from my '09 Silverado spare tire carrier tool. After all of that trouble I discovered that the heavy duty receiver hitch the PO had welded to the frame sat too far back into the space for the spare that the 235/85R16 won't fit up in there. I plan on grinding off the hitch and bolting on a Draw-Tite hitch I've had squirreled way for years.

Reviving an old thread with a funny story... So I wanted the spare tire removed so I could gain more access while doing an axle rebuild.. But no tool with the cruiser to lower the tire. I came across this and tried the OPs method for a good hour 1/2 with no luck. then I just thought "maybe my Tacoma has this tool." Yup no s*** has the exact tool I needed. The tire was off in 1 minute. Lost all my motivation to keep pressing on with the axle rebuild for the night after I was defeated haha.

What year is your Tacoma?

I've used the key for turning my sprinkler main water on. It just fits and gives a lot more leverage. Lots of PB Blaster and working the crank back a forth and I was able to release the tire. Then I tossed the whole thing when I put my 4Plus rear bumper on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom