FJ62 RPM's while cruising at 70 mph A440 Auto Trans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon fellow Cruiserheads.

What RPMs are you experiencing while cruising at 70 in your FJ62 with the auto trans?

Im getting 2800 rpm at 70 mph on flat ground and i feel like im just pushing the engine too hard.

and 2650 at 66 mph.

It feels high and im thinking the torque converter is not fully locking up.

Original owner of 1989, mostly stock. 217,000 miles. Transmission rebuilt at 165,000 mi and at 200,000 miles, my kickdown cable seized so i replaced that recently too.
Ever since the kickdown cable was replaced, the transmission runs hot. According to my in-line trans temp gauge, im commonly seeing temps of 210* and higher during normal operation. The temp sender is before the trans cooler and shows me the highest fluid temps coming from the trans.

Thanks, and as always, any advice is greatly appreciated!
20151114_132937.jpg

Last edited:
What size tires are you running?

You should be able to feel the converter lockup if it's working. It will feel like a extra gear shift. Your RPM's are definitely high for those speeds especially with what looks like oversized tires

I'll check tomorrow at the exact size but they are 31's I believe. Possibly 32's

Edit: 31x10.5 r15

Yes I do believe the rpm's seem higher than normal.
Torque converter not locking up? Kickdown cable too tight?

Last edited:
are you sure it's even going into 4th/OD?

I'll check tomorrow at the exact size but they are 31's I believe. Possibly 32's

Edit: 31x10.5 r15

Yes I do believe the rpm's seem higher than normal.
Torque converter not locking up? Kickdown cable too tight?
The kickdown cable is very sensitive, follow the FSM adjustment procedure carefully and make sure the fluid level is good.

Install a transmission cooler, if you haven't already. Running larger tires strains that 31 year old transmission.

You should be able to feel overdrive engage at about 50 mph, at least that’s where it usually occurs with my 89 on 235R15. It might be a bit different with your 31” tires.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have installed an aux. Trans cooler.

I do believe it's going into 4th.

I've counted shifts from stopped and it sounds like 4 gears, but I need to confirm that the converter is locking up.

Guess I'll head back to the shop who did the rebuild a few years ago.

What are the specs on the adjustment of the throttle cable and kickdown cable?

Hi, I would be looking at the torque converter. May not be getting complete lock up. Mike

As a reference point for you:

I'm also running 31" tires on my fj62 and at 70 mph, it turns ~2,300 RPM. As eluded to above, seems like it could be an issue related to your torque converter not achieving full lock.

Ok so I took the truck out to do a bit of testing today.

1. Checked fluid level. Fluid is full, clean and good to go.

2. Checked kickdown cable adjustment. Seems to be in spec. Shifts are crisp but not too harsh. There is no "acorn swedge/stopper" on the cable so it's hard to go by the fsm which says to measure from that.

3. Drove from 0 to 70 and counted shifts.

4 nice shifts but no torque converter lockup once I got past 50. Still at 2700 - 2800 rpm at 70 mph.

Going to try a "party trick" flush this evening once the roads empty out and can have a nice clear place to do it.

Hoping I don't have to tear into it and have the torque converter replaced again.

Thanks for the help

Update: Sat night.

Did the Rodney "Party Trick" ie: slam it in park while driving at 60 mph to fee up some clogged valves or something.

Did not result in any improvement in torque converter lock up.

Brough it to the shop that did the transmission rebuild in 2002. They confirmed yes. It is not locking up in 4th gear.

Two options...

1. Drop the pan pull the valve body and diagnose from there. Probably a full valve body rebuild. $700

2. Pull the trans and investigate the torque converter. Apparently there are a few seals in there that can go bad over time. The "new" torque converter only has about 80,000 miles on it and could be the issue. Probably put in a new converter. $1000

My 5 year plan for this vehicle is to have a reliable Cruiser that can drive anywhere from 5 to 5,000 miles. Id like to keep it automatic and eventually have @TRAIL TAILOR or someone swap in a cali legal LS3 EROD and 4 spd gm trans. Dont have the money for that at the moment.

3. Third option is to get a Nomad extreme valve body and a HD torque converter from @orangefj45 George at @cruiserbrothers in Stockton.

I am located in Ventura County CA

Realistically that may be my best option in my budget.

other options or advice is greatly appreciated.

Easy, just don't go more then 55-60mpg until you've saved enough for the LS3 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom